* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Fitness Motivation...Help!
PostPosted: August 20th, 2008, 9:56 am 
Newly Created Account

Hi everyone, I'm a 25 year old female living in Charlottetown and I'm looking to lose 20-30 pounds but need that motivatation as I'm having a hard time doing it alone. I go to the gym at the AFC and go to UFIT occasionally. But I guess i'm that type of person that needs that push to get there. Anyone else here trying to lose weight and maybe would be interested in being fitness buddies? I love to exercise and I know I can lose the weight, I just don't like doing it by myself. Maybe starting a Biggest Loser club could be fun if anyone is interested!
Thanks so much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2008, 10:03 am 
Almost an Islander

I wish I lived closer to Charlottetown........I definitely need a buddy to get my butt moving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2008, 11:09 am 

Sorry, can't join you... I'm in Sside... however I really like the idea of starting a biggest loser club, you know without the voting out part! :lol: :lol:

We could all decide a start date and motivate each other, suggest exercise techniques and foods/recipes to help in the battle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2008, 11:12 am 
My co-workers and I hit the Spa .. summer, vacations and now scheduling changes have messed up the routine. I know about needing the push.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2008, 12:38 pm 

I go to the UPEI gym. Sorry, but good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2008, 12:41 pm 
True Islander

Just Smile wrote:
I wish I lived closer to Charlottetown........I definitely need a buddy to get my butt moving.

haha me too!

But I live in town :)

im game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2008, 4:53 pm 
Almost an Islander

There is a biggest loser competition that was run by UPEI in the spring (that I attended) and will be running again in the fall. I'd suggest looking into that. It's a good place to start. I teamed up with my sister for that. I started in February, and since (I still work out and run five days a week) i have lost about 50 pounds. My sister has lost about 35 ( I think) in total. This is all from eating right and working out.

The hardest part is sticking to a regime and the UPEI biggest loser was a great help for starting.My routine is now much more difficult and more orientated towards my new fitness goals, but it was working out on a regular basis in a group setting that helped me get to the point where I could stay focused on my current program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2008, 5:30 pm 

jasarsenault wrote:
There is a biggest loser competition that was run by UPEI in the spring (that I attended) and will be running again in the fall. I'd suggest looking into that. It's a good place to start. I teamed up with my sister for that. I started in February, and since (I still work out and run five days a week) i have lost about 50 pounds. My sister has lost about 35 ( I think) in total. This is all from eating right and working out.

The hardest part is sticking to a regime and the UPEI biggest loser was a great help for starting.My routine is now much more difficult and more orientated towards my new fitness goals, but it was working out on a regular basis in a group setting that helped me get to the point where I could stay focused on my current program.

I'm really interested in that. Is there a fee? It's convenient, as I'm already there most days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2008, 5:41 pm 
Almost an Islander

It's not free. I can't remember what I paid, but it works out to be about ten dollars a session. This seemed like a lot at first, but it was money that both my sister and I agree was well spent. I think the whole program was around 300 dollars, but that pays for the trainers and the prizes (there are a couple hundred dollars in prizes). The program went for 12 weeks x 3 days a week for one hour. My running and overall fitness skyrocketed. That said, not everyone had success. It's completely dependent on how serious you are (of course).

Its a lot of running and a lot of aerobic fitness training, not much for weights (which was my only complaint).

The other option (which is cheaper): you mentioned you were going to the UPEI gym...go see Stan Chaisson, the trainer there, and he can set up a personalized program. Cost is 50 dollars and includes the time required to show you how to properly do all the exercises in the regime. Sometimes it's easier to finish your workout if you have a checklist of exercises to accomplish, and Stan can make sure the exercises are varied and ones that interest you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2008, 6:02 pm 

Hypnosis is another option. I got hypnotized this spring. I know it doesn’t work for everyone, but it sure worked for me

The old me was a very sporadic gym goer, often I went weeks between visits. After getting hypnotized, I have a compulsion to go. I now work out six days a week and sometimes feel bad for taking one day off. Regular working out, along with making better food choices allowed me to drop 40lbs since early April.

Good luck in attaining your goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 21st, 2008, 10:03 am 
True Islander

I found that finding activities I really like doing was key.

I was surprised as hell when the running bug bit me, I used to laugh at joggers and thought they were nuts, how could you enjoy that?! Last year I hurt my ankle very badly and had to stop running and since have been working on my house and found that working all day on the house and running was too much for my body to handle, but once I am done I will start back into running again. I have a friend that only exercises by hiking, he walked across Scotland and New Zealand, slimmed down a lot and enjoyed every minute. Another thing I like to do is trail run and mountain bike, again things they I actually look forward to and are great workouts!

I also fell off my lower fat lower cholesterol diet once I started working on the house too but it became pretty easy to eat healthier when I was working out. Instead of butter on my potatoes I would use curry powder and a little salt. I would eat smaller portions of meat and cook lots of veggies I really liked like green beans, carrots, steamed asparagus or brussel sprouts or fiddle heads and have them with maybe a little olive oil, salt, pepper, some spices but no butter. I would put the veggies on my plate first before the protein/starches, that would usually make me take less of the higher calorie foods.

Finally I try to moderate my alcohol intake, hard to do some times when construction work and beers afterwards go so good together! Alcohol is a high calorie source and can add up to a lot if you have more than one.

This summer has had 4 weddings for me so far so my adherence to these rules has been atrocious and my waistline shows it. I am feeling the urge to get healthier again though, I had more energy, felt better, slept better, was more alert, had fewer cranky moments, etc etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 21st, 2008, 10:24 am 

This thread is wonderfully inspirational.
I find it insanely hard to get motivated, I am so lazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 21st, 2008, 10:57 am 
Newly Created Account

Thanks everyone for replying! This is great! I think I may get out for a walk after this since it's gorgeous out today! It would be fun to start a group online for anyone in the same situation as me, not really sure how to start one though haha. I tried UFIT's 6 weeks to fit program a year or so ago and LOVED it, highly recommend it. It really motivated me, but when it finished, I lost all motivation cause I didn't have that weekly get together...so maybe something online would be helpful, especially help those who aren't from Charlottetown, we could tell each other to get going and track our progress :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 21st, 2008, 11:52 am 
True Islander

My suggestion is to pick a time of the day and consistenly exercise during that time. It's a huge help if you have a partner, but if you make up a time to go to the gym or whatever everyday, you might have better luck sticking with it. For example, if you decide you are going to go to the gym at 4pm everyday, you'll soon get used to it and you will expect to be at the gym at 4pm. I started working out with a partner a couple of months ago and we go to the gym every morning before work. I am not a morning person and I had put off going with him because he wanted to work out at 6am. But I finally relented and I'm glad I did. It absolutely sucks getting up at 5:45am, but it's absolutely great to have a workout done for the day at 7am. Then I don't have to worry about hitting the gym in the evening. And if bed is just too tempting on some mornings, I can just go to the gym in the evening. I find this works best for me.