* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: "Editor, We call our nation Canada, a Christian nation.
PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 10:12 pm 
Almost an Islander

Noticed this 'gem' on the Journal's site, I was laughing when I read the part highlighted in red...

http://journalpioneer.com/index.cfm?sid=153127&sc=123

Quote:
Presenting award was out of line print this article
The Journal Pioneer

Editor,
We call our nation Canada, a Christian nation. How Christian is it when a Medal of Honour of the Order of Canada is given to a doctor who does nothing but take the life of an unborn.
For we have the commands of God to keep and one of them is we shall not kill, for taking of life of the unborn or at any time is murder. You might just as well give it to Joe Stalin for he took life in his own hands and killed many people.
This is an embarrassment to all Canadians and all people at large and a sin against humanity.
Adeline Butler,
Tignish

Last edited by PEIRailway on July 16th, 2008, 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 10:14 pm 
True Islander

everyones entitled to an opinion... i not touch this one

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 10:15 pm 
True Islander

I'm Canadian and I sure as hell am not Christian.

Someone hijack the nation when I wasn't lookin???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 10:16 pm 
Almost an Islander

my post doesn't really have to do with any particular side of the abortion arguement, just the part about Canada calling itself a 'Christian' nation, as though everyone in the nation should follow Christian law. I always believed, and loved the fact that Canada is a multicultural country that accepts and supports many different beliefs (or lack there-of) and any associated customs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 10:20 pm 
True Islander

Far as I'm concerned, any Canadian can follow any religion they wish, but if they think their religion has any place in our Legislature, they are sadly mistaken.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 10:24 pm 
True Islander

PEIRailway wrote:
my post doesn't really have to do with any particular side of the abortion arguement, just the part about Canada calling itself a 'Christian' nation, as though everyone in the nation should follow Christian law. I always believed, and loved the fact that Canada is a multicultural country that accepts and supports many different beliefs (or lack there-of) and any associated customs.

What i find interesting is that we call it multi cultural, and that we accept and support many beliefs, but the ones that we accepted, tend to often push out the beliefs that the country was originally based on.

You may also want to look back and see what exactly ' christian law' is...chances are all of the laws you follow today are based on the ten commandments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 10:36 pm 
True Islander

the fact that some of the commandments, such as though shall not kill, are part of our legal system, does not mean they are based on them. Our legal system is based on English Common Law as modified by our Parliament. The fact Britain was largely Christian meant that many of the lawmakers were Christian but does not mean the nation has to follow any particular church in enacting laws.

I for one would abandon the country if the Pope had influence over our laws.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 10:37 pm 
True Islander

Ed The Sock wrote:
the fact that some of the commandments, such as though shall not kill, are part of our legal system, does not mean they are based on them. Our legal system is based on English Common Law as modified by our Parliament. The fact Britain was largely Christian meant that many of the lawmakers were Christian but does not mean the nation has to follow any particular church in enacting laws.

I for one would abandon the country if the Pope had influence over our laws.

Personally i dont have a pope.....nor do i follow one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 10:38 pm 
Almost an Islander

Ed The Sock wrote:
Far as I'm concerned, any Canadian can follow any religion they wish, but if they think their religion has any place in our Legislature, they are sadly mistaken.

exactly!

shelley wrote:
What i find interesting is that we call it multi cultural, and that we accept and support many beliefs, but the ones that we accepted, tend to often push out the beliefs that the country was originally based on.

You may also want to look back and see what exactly ' christian law' is...chances are all of the laws you follow today are based on the ten commandments.

i'm not saying anything bad about Christians in particular, but rather anyone saying that any one religion should have an influence in our country's politics. i would have found the post equally as humorous if the person had said "Canada is Jewish nation" or "Canada is an atheist nation", "Canada is a Muslim nation", "Canada is a ... whatever nation". It doesn't matter, none of them would be correct and I'd laugh at someone so righteous in their beliefs to say so, regardless of whatever beliefs they had.

as for being what this country was found on, this country was found on people being able to choose whatever religious beliefs they wanted. many of the people who came to the 'New World' (aka North America) did so to escape religious persecutions in their mother countries. From the very start of the 'New World' era, things were multicultural, as there were already many different aboriginal cultures and religions, as well as all the newcomers from many different countries and beliefs that all came here and eventually formed government(s) together... well, thats not quite true, there was lots of combat between all the different groups living here for the first.. quite a while... but eventually, when our government was officially formed things had smoothed out a bit more and we had principals that this nation, Canada was formed on. Being have religious free will is one of them, and religion has no part or preferance in government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 10:42 pm 
True Islander

I used the Pope only because I do not make a habit of criticizing a religion I was not a member of. I don't generally comment on any other religion other then Catholic, because this was the only religion I was raised in. I would find it equally reprehensible should any other religious leader or doctrine have influence over our Parliament.

Our legal system is based on our constitution, not a collection of 2000 year old beliefs.

I personally don't care if you believe cows or statues of a fat man represent god. Your religious beliefs control your own life but have no place in law, to control mine.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 11:49 pm 
True Islander

I wouldn't go too hard on this person. She well may be old enough to remember when this country was indeed a 'christian nation'.
And Ed I really don't care about your beliefs either, yet you keep pimping them. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 5:22 am 

This lady has written many, many letters to the Journal over time and I believe beta is right about her being quite a bit older.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 7:32 am 
True Islander

I hate how people keep pointing out how abortion is a sin, and that it's sinful that Morgentaler was awarded the Order of Canada. They make it sound like he is the only sinner who ever received the Order. But every single person who received the Order is a sinner. God does not rank sins either, so it's irrelevant whether Morgentaler performs abortion, or someone else "covets thy neighbour." It's all the same in God's eyes. I wish people would just drop that whole argument.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 10:20 am 

craiger wrote:
God does not rank sins either

Maybe not but I do and a killer is a killer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 10:58 am 
Canada is officially recognized by the UN as being a pluralistic nation. This means that Canada is not a Christian nation. Although it was once considered a Christian Nation. Things like policies on immigration and government policies have taken Canada away from what is and has been considered a Christian state.

I always thought since confederation Canada was not considered a Christian nation. The constitution provided for freedom of religion and no official state religion. Although the Charter does state ....Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 11:35 am 

Socrates wrote:
craiger wrote:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 11:45 am 

I get a kick out of all the males who get their knickers in a knot over the right to have an abortion.
Don't sweat it fellows as it will never happen to you, I just think you don't really have a say in what is a female issue. Like the old girl in Italy is supposed to have told the Pope when he took a stand against Birth Control. "If you don't play the game you don't make the rules".

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 12:02 pm 

mj wrote:
Socrates wrote:
craiger wrote:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I just did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 12:12 pm 
True Islander

champ wrote:
I get a kick out of all the males who get their knickers in a knot over the right to have an abortion.
Don't sweat it fellows as it will never happen to you, I just think you don't really have a say in what is a female issue. Like the old girl in Italy is supposed to have told the Pope when he took a stand against Birth Control. "If you don't play the game you don't make the rules".

I get a kick out of the old girls that think this is a female issue only, and who get a kick out of the males getting their knickers in a knot, yet would have no issue about sucking said knicker tied male dry with child support if she decided not to abort.
Seems they all just crawled out from under the same cabbage leaf to me.

Point is it is not a female or male issue, it is a social issue It involves possibly a choice of life or death, moral or immoral, and legal or illegal.

If one can not discuss this mater in a non sexist manner and not preach or bash religious ideals either for or against, then perhaps they are not mature enough to discuss the topic at all. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 12:33 pm 
True Islander

champ wrote:

It may never happen in you, but an abortion of you child definitely involves you and your emotions and conscience.

Of course it is ultimately the mother's choice, but saying it has nothing to do with the father in insensitive and incorrect. :(