Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Saturday Steak Special at Fireman's Club for $5.75 [Remind Me]

Lunch Steak Special at Ch'town Curling Club for $10.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Flooding ...
PostPosted: February 19th, 2008, 9:04 am 
So........... over night I opened a swimming pool ....

My apartment, while I was at work and son was sleeping flooded. I healthy inch of water here now. I have furniture up on blocks of wood to save it. A real mess. Apartment beside me is also flooded (but not as bad) and apartment building beside me is flooded.

And what am I doing .. waiting for the cleaning company ... cleaning with a shop vac ... and I needed to vent before I sit in the water and cry ....

It could be worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2008, 9:09 am 
Yuck!

Lived in two "basement" apartments in my life,..and both flooded,...would never do it again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2008, 9:16 am 
True Islander

Oh that is terrible. I have yet to be brave enough to check my basement :(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2008, 9:21 am 
Almost an Islander

I woke up a burnt out motor on by sump pump. What a disaster that was. I feel the pain. Its been a long week in my basement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2008, 9:32 am 
Almost an Islander

I don't have a pile of water, I have a pile of dirty clothes, that I can't wash because my dryer decided to break yesterday.

I'd hang them out but they wouldn't dry.

I want summer !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2008, 10:13 am 
Newly Created Account

Yep...also got some nice wet mushy carpets in both my bedrooms. :evil:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2008, 11:10 am 

hmmm.... try to think of it this way.... your spring cleaning will be done courtesy the landlord!

Hope it didn't damage anything though... we're pretty lucky here we haven't had any flooding in the basement other than the time Hon decided to cut out a "supposedly" unused water pipe to run a network cable. Now that was an exciting Friday night! It was unfortunate that the city water repair guy broke the valve in the front yard while trying to shut it off... but hey! we got a new one!!

Hope the cleanup goes well for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2008, 11:27 am 
True Islander

We dont have any in our basement, but there is a river in our backyard.

Flashing back to the last flood we had ( first marriage, someone left the basement windows opened when it rained )

I was cleaning up like 3 inches of water over the basment, no sump pump, just had a shop vac. I found it very hard to carry so much water so i figured hey, the washer is in the basment, dump it in the washer and let it drain out through the rinse.
Then husband found out what i was doing, pitched a fit, and went on an on about how that was bad for the washer and why didnt i just carry it upstairs etc. Anyway......I shop vac'ed up a full container of it, told him i could not carry it upstairs, so he huffed and came over and took the tub full of water and started up the stairs......now..get a visual......rofl.....

rubber boots.....painted stairs.....ya....he pretty much wore it after he fell down the stairs.....

** as i snickered in the corner.................

after that, the rest was put in the washing machine............ :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2008, 7:32 pm 

My mother was talking to me last night. She said that the basement was filling up with water and she spent the whole night bailing buckets into the sump pump. It was my grandfather's house before she inherited it, and apparently she didn't know about a certain valve she could have opened that would relieve the incoming water pressure from the sewer. Too bad. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2008, 7:20 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

So I was sitting here yesterday thinking "poor Cougar", blissfully unaware of what was happening in my basement ... until just before supper last night when Mrs K asked me to get something out of the basement.

There had never been a drop of moisture in my sump hole in all these years ... so why would I need a sump pump, eh?

A quick trip to Canadian Tire (you're right Frankie, couldn't find a soul to help me find a check valve) for a pump and a wet vac, and by midnight the basement was effectively dried out.

Fortunately, the damage should be light ... some pieces of stored furniture likely will be showing a bit of warp today. Anything else that went for a swim shouldn't suffer water damage.

A few times last evening, I thought about Coug's situation and figured I had nothing to complain about compared to what others had to deal with yesterday.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2008, 9:09 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

kreskin wrote:
So I was sitting here yesterday thinking "poor Cougar", blissfully unaware of what was happening in my basement ... until just before supper last night when Mrs K asked me to get something out of the basement.

There had never been a drop of moisture in my sump hole in all these years ... so why would I need a sump pump, eh?

A quick trip to Canadian Tire (you're right Frankie, couldn't find a soul to help me find a check valve) for a pump and a wet vac, and by midnight the basement was effectively dried out.

Fortunately, the damage should be light ... some pieces of stored furniture likely will be showing a bit of warp today. Anything else that went for a swim shouldn't suffer water damage.

A few times last evening, I thought about Coug's situation and figured I had nothing to complain about compared to what others had to deal with yesterday.

But most importantly, is the beer OK? :P

We were lucky, basement is dry. I never really thought to check it, until I read this thread.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2008, 10:11 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Armetis wrote:
But most importantly, is the beer OK? :P

One of your two-fours was on a shelf but the other one was on the floor, so the case was damaged but the beer should be fine (but to be on the safe side, maybe it should be drunk soon, eh? :wink: )

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2008, 10:28 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Very soon!

Cougar...update us on how you got along.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2008, 12:33 pm 
Tuesday morning I called my son at 7 am to wake him up. In a paniced voice he says, "The apartment is flooded." So I assumed the sink in the kitchen overflowed ... bathroom floor is wet ... nooooo .... the apartment is flooded ... "Like wadding pool flooded."

So I fly out of work and head down to find it certainly was flooded ... an inch of water in the bedrooms and kitchen.

Used the shop vac to get rid of the water in the kitchen ... I forget how many times we emptied that. Towel on the floor to soak up the water ... threw wet clothes in the tub ...

In my effort to make a differnece in the apartment, I had spent the weekend washing all our clothes, sorting piles into second hand store, things to be store for spring/summer or winter next year. All of those now need to be re-washed ... at least 20 loads of clothes ... where do they come from ... they multiply like rabbits.

Called the guy who watches the place for the landlord and he came right away with the maintenance guy.

They moved us out to a cottage in Rockey Pt. It was cute .. rough .. but cute. We had a good time .. slept on an air mattress. We were in bed early. Had a good visit with my son. We took take out pizza out with us. I tossed the left overs out for the birds .... In the middle of the night I heard someone on the deck. I get up to find a ground of coyotes in the yard ... I get the camera to take a picture of the one outside the patio door, that was sitting on the deck. I must have scared him, because he jumped at the door. I hid in the livingroom till morning!

I brought my son to the apartment to get a hat and mits and sent him off to school. I was cleaning more stuff when the cleaners arrived. They asked if I had water damage and I replied yes .. they came in and cleaned it ... took them 45 minutes because I had everything picked up off the floor and all the big things in the kitchen out of the way ...

The guy in charge of the building just called .. I wasn't suppose to be done first because of the way the insurance works .. the other two places were priority (one has less water then I did and the other had about 3 inches of water!!) ... I was going to be lucky to see them later in the week. Well tomorrow is thursday and later would mean friday ... hmmmm .... good thing I bought the guys coffee!!! They had left to go do another job and just came back to do next door.

So now spring cleaning has started ...

We apparently will be able to stay here tonight, although the carpets are damp. I have the dehumidifier running in my sons bedroom, will move it to my room while I am at work over night. I have fans going for air circulation ... and I have to keep checking the temperature on the fish tank so I dont lose them to the heat being cranked and the water they are losing in the tank because of this.

I am in no mood to go to the concert tonight, if I could even find the tickets in this mess.

I called for new insurance. As the old one was a waste ... only $150 for the year for the new policy.

It could have been worse. I was fortunate it was only an inconvenience, lost my Christmas decorations, some books, a few pictures, the phones displays seem to be gone, some clothing, slight furniture damage, a lost day of wages, my son missed a day at school .... It could have been worse.

I am watching the fire in Toronto .. only a block from my sisters place ... I am lucky.

Hope everyone else is fairing well ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2008, 8:01 am 

I just had to comment on your great attitudes, SC and Kreskin. =) Sometimes when something crappy happens the best thing to do first is count your blessings. Just thinking and saying "it could be worse" seems to help me out.

Shelley - your story about the stairs made me lol. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2008, 1:10 pm 
I believe if I keep repeating it .. it will get better ... last night they came in with fans and dehumidifiers ... so noisy .. cant think .. have not slept since tuesday night .... getting a tad cranky .... send cookies, rye or chocolate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 5:30 pm 
Since Wednesday night they have been in with fans trying to dry out my carpet. The carpet is old ... building is about thirty years old .. carpet might be the second one ever put down ...

How long is a reasonable length to allow the cleaners to attempt drying them out?

I would like to get back to a routine here. All my furniture, clothes and knick knacks are piled in my kitchen in boxes. The large furniture is up on blocks to keep it off the damp carpet ... I cant get to my stove to cook, so I have been eating at various restaurants .. and that is becoming extrememely expensive.

My insurance wont pay for accomodations while they are trying the dry it out. So the past week has been interesting ... and we are looking at week two .. and they are saying I may not have a decision till thursday!!

So after 4 days of multiple fans .... and the floor is still damp ... can I tell the cleaners or insurance guys .. enough is enough .. or am I stuck waiting on their decision??

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 9:21 pm 

singlecougar wrote:
Since Wednesday night they have been in with fans trying to dry out my carpet. The carpet is old ... building is about thirty years old .. carpet might be the second one ever put down ...

How long is a reasonable length to allow the cleaners to attempt drying them out?

I would like to get back to a routine here. All my furniture, clothes and knick knacks are piled in my kitchen in boxes. The large furniture is up on blocks to keep it off the damp carpet ... I cant get to my stove to cook, so I have been eating at various restaurants .. and that is becoming extrememely expensive.

My insurance wont pay for accomodations while they are trying the dry it out. So the past week has been interesting ... and we are looking at week two .. and they are saying I may not have a decision till thursday!!

So after 4 days of multiple fans .... and the floor is still damp ... can I tell the cleaners or insurance guys .. enough is enough .. or am I stuck waiting on their decision??

Your insurance company should pay for your meals if you can't use your kitchen. Just tell them you can't use your kitchen. This expense would fall under "Additional Living Expenses", so they should be paying.

Re the drying equip, wow....four days and not dry yet! They shouldn't be leaving it in for any more than five days. I can't believe they're still trying to dry it out if it's old carpet to begin with. The restoration companies charge approx $30-$40 per day per unit for the fans. Dehumidifiers are more expensive, depending on the size of unit.

If you pay for your own electricity, you should ask to be reimbursed for the extra cost to run the drying equip. The insurance companies normally give you an allowance for the extra electricity.

Let me know if you have any questions....

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 9:59 pm 
Almost an Islander

singlecougar wrote:

Are you sleeping there? I wouldn't think it would be very healthy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 10:14 pm 
Tuesday night we stayed else where .. was told we could stay here wednesday ... we slept else where thursday night because wednesday night was so bad in the apartment. We spent the weekend in Montague and came back tonight ...

There are 9 dryers, three fans, one huge dehumidifier and an air cleaner running ....

I cant use my kitchen because all of my stuff is in there. I was told to move my stuff around so I could get at the stove .... so I am not seeing help there ... with food costs.

As far as insurance .... I was told if the woman upstairs had flooded the bath, I would be covered for accommodations and such ... but rain water is not covered. Not even indirectly ... if I want help .. to go after the landlords generosity.

The insurance and cleaners have all been here. I am one of three apartments with water damage. The first was minimal and she stayed in her apartment, then the second had several inches of water and lots of damage and then mine .. fortunately I got home in time to get everything up on blocks to save my furniture.

The only damage is the carpet .. it is a given it needs to be replaced.

I will call the landlord and carpet company and ask nicely to get a decision made now. Maybe look at a hotel rental for a week and see if they are willing to take it off the rent.

The only thing I know that is being reinbursed is the cost of the electric.
Needless to say .. I went out and got additional insurance when I found out what I had was worthless.