* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Sunday Brunch at Rodd Royalty for $16.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2008, 1:51 pm 
Almost an Islander

I never close a door to anything career wise. My experience listed above speaks for itself...as for the teaching, I have experience in the public and college systems as an instructor and administrator and have applied for a number of positions - full and contract - over the past 12 - 18 months.

Never received an interview. I do know in several cases, positions were awarded to people closely tied to staff and / or administration. Common practices in this closed shop environment which also extends to substitute work. Retired and non certified receive the bulk of the calls in this area all of whom have some connection to the local system.

Some days your the statue...some days your the pidgeon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2008, 9:04 am 
Almost an Islander

Flyonthewall wrote:
I will try to find out whose relative was hired.....

I had to combine two to well know phrases to define this one...hope you find it amusing.

Old Boy Nepotage.

Turns out the successful "applicant" had, as of early last week, no knowledge of this opening and was scheduled to start a permenant positon with the federal government until an email from the school administration arrived offering the position out of the blue.

This person is, by coincidence, is the son in law of a former school administrator in the area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2008, 12:04 pm 
Almost an Islander

Flyonthewall wrote:
Flyonthewall wrote:

I had to combine two to well know phrases to define this one...hope you find it amusing.

Old Boy Nepotage.

Turns out the successful "applicant" had, as of early last week, no knowledge of this opening and was scheduled to start a permenant positon with the federal government until an email from the school administration arrived offering the position out of the blue.

This person is, by coincidence, is the son in law of a former school administrator in the area.

I've seen where advertisements were placed in local newspapers for positions that were already spoken for and the 'applicant' already solicited, had to keep up the appearance of propriety.

In a related topic's thread there is a discussion going on amongst 'applicants' for some temp work with the Fed's at the tax center. One person (redhead27) seems to have already gotten the bad news by someone who was doing background checks told her current boss that "it likely won't happen". How is that for professionalism? That tells me someone was going through the motions and likely the cousin of the person doing the checks got the job.

Calico, its 'oiland oiffirmative action. We looks after our own.

Post subject: Update?
PostPosted: February 16th, 2008, 11:03 pm 

Flyonthewall wrote:
A test for the for the "who you know" system.

I applied for a position yesterday for which my qualifications and experience could have been used to write the posting. Today, I overheard a coffeshop conversation in which this position was the topic of conversation and the successful candidate was named.

It will be interesting to see if this proves to be true after the interviews are held.

Flyonthewall, did you find out anything more about this one? I was watching for an update.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2008, 11:35 pm 

Calico wrote:
Flyonthewall wrote:
Flyonthewall wrote:

Old Boy Nepotage.

I've seen where advertisements were placed in local newspapers for positions that were already spoken for and the 'applicant' already solicited, had to keep up the appearance of propriety.

In a related topic's thread there is a discussion going on amongst 'applicants' for some temp work with the Fed's at the tax center. One person (redhead27) seems to have already gotten the bad news by someone who was doing background checks told her current boss that "it likely won't happen". How is that for professionalism? That tells me someone was going through the motions and likely the cousin of the person doing the checks got the job.

Calico, its 'oiland oiffirmative action. We looks after our own.

lol, I think like chem said later in the thread that it was most likely a comment based in the fact that there were so many applicants...I'm still hoping anyways! But I have definately heard of (and witnessed) cases where jobs are advertised when somebody has already been selected for the position, but they still have to go through the motions of advertising it.

Post subject: Re: Update?
PostPosted: February 17th, 2008, 9:45 am 
Almost an Islander

Jett wrote:
Flyonthewall wrote:

I applied for a position yesterday for which my qualifications and experience could have been used to write the posting. Today, I overheard a coffeshop conversation in which this position was the topic of conversation and the successful candidate was named.

It will be interesting to see if this proves to be true after the interviews are held.

Flyonthewall, did you find out anything more about this one? I was watching for an update.

I was interviewed last Tuesday with the final decision to be made by the end of the month...

On another note, I had said I would not return to the school where the "old boy nepotage" appointment took place but, thought better of it, for the time being, so as to gather more information regarding the circumstances of awarding the position as were outlined earlier.

I inquired as to the availablility of upcoming substitute work and was advised no days were to be filled. When I checked the calander all upcoming days were filled by a retired teacher (double dipping) and one of the administrator's children (nepotism) who holds uncertified status.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2008, 8:53 am 
Almost an Islander

Flyonthewall wrote:

The results are in regarding this position.

I was contacted by phone and advised that, although I interviewed very well, the position was given to another candidate. Further, it was explained how difficult a decision it was to make as those interviewed were all highly qualified for the job.

I thanked them for their consideration and inquired as to who the successful candidate was....the one named prior to the interviews.

That being said, we are preparing to offer up our property for sale in the spring - should it ever arrive - and work through the paperwork for our move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2008, 10:12 am 

I'm sorry to hear that that's how it went. My small ray of hope re fairness is now extinguished. Since I too have had a similar experience, I think I'll be following you off the island. I'm too tired to take the fight against inequity to a higher level so it will continue to flourish unchecked for the most part. I guess it works for those it serves.

In light of an article in the Guardian that houses are going for high dollars, I hope you at least take away a profit on yours and that all goes well in the move.

Profile E-mail