Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Saturday Steak Special at Fireman's Club for $5.75 [Remind Me]

Lunch Steak Special at Ch'town Curling Club for $10.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Tourist business operators whine...
PostPosted: July 19th, 2004, 5:31 pm 

Today's media report...

Comical yet sad that the tourisim businesses continues to rely on the mom and pops with two kids, hauling the second hand camper with the three year old Windstar, to the land of Anne... to spend a couple hundred $. Quaint but it ain't enough.

In this day and age, the only people who can continue to pay for our 'god fearing way of life' are the high rollers. The ones who'll shell out a hundred bucks for a round of golf, a grand for quality accomodations and good entertainment... Somehow Islanders feel this is bad.

Lord forbid they'll want to shop on a rainy Sunday or toss a six pack of canned beer in the golf cart... or shudder, vist a restaurant more sophisticated than the Frosty Treat Dairy Bar in Kensington.

If I was ( and have been) a group of young visiting business people who want to spend good money on golf, wine, women and partying with such a destination to be decided upon, PEI ? uhh no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2004, 5:44 pm 

Lots of people come to PEI for the beaches and beautiful scenery. A few lucky ducks even rent seaside cottages. It's hard not to love the Island itself, even if some of the tourist attractions aren't always world class.

I'm thinking of heading back in August to visit a few old friends and family, I haven't been back since '96.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2004, 7:26 pm 

stevebeairsto wrote:
Lots of people come to PEI for the beaches and beautiful scenery. A few lucky ducks even rent seaside cottages. It's hard not to love the Island itself, even if some of the tourist attractions aren't always world class.

I'm thinking of heading back in August to visit a few old friends and family, I haven't been back since '96.

Yes, its a beautiful land, but for christ's sake, just don't walk on the beach, SPEND! We have to welcome more tourists WITH money. People coming home for a long weekend, sleeping on mom's couch, arriving with a trunk load of canned Alpine don't do dick for the economy..

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2004, 10:07 pm 

Know what pisses me off about tourist season??? They always seem to blame us for the shitty weather while "they" are here on holidays. Gawd if I hear " does it rain like this all the time", or "when will the sun come out" one more time I think I will slap somebody!!! Gawd, people does it not rain where you come from???? UM..... HELLO we do not control the weather here!!! I've been to Florida several times and have had shitty weather, but why complain about it. Just enjoy your time however you can. There are lots of indoor activities. So please think a little before you make such comments.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2004, 11:19 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

What irked me was an article in the Journal Pioneer a couple of days ago, in which the president of the Cavenish Area Tourism Whatever was interviewed. He stated that tourist operators in Cavendish are having a bad year because of the weather and that several may even be closing their doors at the end of the summer if numbers don't pick up. He then went on to blame the Provincial government, giving them their share of blame, because they didn't tout the area as much as they could have, and didn't give operators tax breaks.

Give ME a break! We operated our own business for several years and we didn't have free advertisement from the government or tax breaks. I feel sorry that they are having a bad year but if your business depends on sunny weather then maybe you need to prepare in advance for this. The only people who receive government assistance are farmers and fishermen and if they are going to give breaks to tourist operators, then they also need to give those same breaks to other business operators who also have bad years.

It's only fair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2004, 11:43 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Tourism is way down all over the Maritimes. I just got back from a week in Nova Scotia, half of it in Cape Breton and half of it in the Mahone Bay/Lunenburg area.

I didn't see a "no vacancy" sign anywhere.

In May, when we booked at the Cape Breton resort where we wanted to stay, the only opening they had was for 4 days (in the week just past) in one of their luxury cottages. We would have preferred a longer stay and in less pricey digs, but we took what we could get. When we arrived, we were surprised to see the resort less than half full. According to a housekeeper that we were talking to, people were cancelling their reservations left, right and center. We could have easily extended our stay or moved to less fancy accomodations, but we had already made other plans for the rest of the week and Mrs. K. was really enjoying the cottage. We also heard complaints from various merchants in Baddeck about the tremendous downturn in business.

And it was pretty much the same in the usual tourism hotspot of Peggy's Cove/Mahone Bay/Lunenburg ... everyone was hurting there too.

One thing I noted while briefly visiting friends in Dartmouth ... our friends are very avid golfers and they usually make three to five weekend trips over to PEI during the course of the golf season. This year, they'll be making none. Why? According to them, PEI has priced themselves out of the market when it comes to golf, with most of the better courses on PEI having raised their fees well above the norm for similar quality courses in the Maritimes, so our friends will be taking their trips to New Brunswick and other areas of Nova Scotia this year. They say they have other friends doing pretty much the same thing. One has to wonder how much impact that PEI's well above normal golf fees is having on the tourism season this year in addition to the other factors.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2004, 7:01 pm 

FRANKIE wrote:
...The only people who receive government assistance are farmers and fishermen... they also need to give those same breaks to other business operators who also have bad years. .

Friend if you knew what multimillion dollar businesses ran out of PEI and what level of taxpayer support they received, you would probably have a stroke on the spot. These are not businesses that need this support to survive (in which my opinion is let the market decide), these are businesses who are more or less in the business of leeching off governments to satisfy their shareholders. Your premier says they're companies that can compete with anyone in the world. He leaves out the significant government support they receive. Nauseating, but that's generally what PEI does to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2004, 8:25 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

y2imm wrote:
FRANKIE wrote:
...The only people who receive government assistance are farmers and fishermen... they also need to give those same breaks to other business operators who also have bad years. .

Friend if you knew what multimillion dollar businesses ran out of PEI and what level of taxpayer support they received, you would probably have a stroke on the spot. These are not businesses that need this support to survive (in which my opinion is let the market decide), these are businesses who are more or less in the business of leeching off governments to satisfy their shareholders. Your premier says they're companies that can compete with anyone in the world. He leaves out the significant government support they receive. Nauseating, but that's generally what PEI does to me.

Sorry, I was referring to small businesses. I should have clarified that. You're right though--it is nauseating what support the corporate giants have from our province but when they've got us by the balls, what else ya gonna do but pay up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2004, 7:42 pm 
Calico Cat wrote:

Yes, its a beautiful land, but for christ's sake, just don't walk on the beach, SPEND! We have to welcome more tourists WITH money. People coming home for a long weekend, sleeping on mom's couch, arriving with a trunk load of canned Alpine don't do dick for the economy..

Calico Cat: And how much did you spend on your Island Vacation this year! :P Last year when I was down the two times in the summer I had no problem finding a Motel at a reasonable price! There is way to many hotels motels sea side cottages on the island! The average family doesn,t have big bucks to spend with car payments, mortgages, internet and cable rates and the price of food! The island will never be Bermuda! There isn,t that many tourist dollars out there and there is lots of other places to visit! People at my work ask where am I going for my Vacation I say PEI! They tell me they are going to Atlantic City or Lac St Jean for two weeks or Turunta for two days! WHOOPI! I don,t spend much but what I do spend the business people are happy with what I do spend!
This year I changed my vacation pattern to May, June, and Maybe October. By doing so it gives me cheaper motel rates and I can spend more on other stuff! I can,t see myself dragging some friggon camper or trailer 900 miles one way to sleep in some damp cold misquito infested camp ground with a skunk as night park ranger! I will take da motel with a kitchenette close to town! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2004, 11:49 pm 

Calico pussy is just an a**hole who seldom has anything positive to say about anything .... Ignore the bulls tit. It's useless anyway.

I'm almost feeling gulty about liveing the life of a king while my kingdom rots away. .... but it's obviouse my kingdom needs some rotting, ..... and a good rot make for great fertilizer. Hmmmmmm. Maybe grow something worth leaveing our kids besides this retardation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2004, 12:15 pm 
daval wrote:
Calico pussy is just an a**hole who seldom has anything positive to say about anything .... Ignore the bulls tit. It's useless anyway.

I'm almost feeling gulty about liveing the life of a king while my kingdom rots away. .... but it's obviouse my kingdom needs some rotting, ..... and a good rot make for great fertilizer. Hmmmmmm. Maybe grow something worth leaveing our kids besides this retardation.

Daval: I like calico Cats comments! I find them rather humerous! On the other hand I also find your comments humerous!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2004, 1:50 pm 

Gee Judge I guess Daval not only is allowed to advertise personal business but is also allowed to verbally attack and degrade ppl to. Good thing you posted rules for the rest of us to follow, you should add one though that Daval is exepmt!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2004, 3:47 pm 

daval wrote:

I have nothing positive to say about anything? This from a person who sees a government conspiracy on every grassy knoll.. Tell me Daval, when you hear those bad voices, beamed from CIA operatives on the third floor in the government building on Grafton Street, do you add more tin foil to the inside of your baseball cap to keep them out?

Calico

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2004, 3:56 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Daval seems to have a bee in his bonnet lately. Which is why I found his statement "just an a**hole who seldom has anything positive to say about anything" so incredibly ironic that I burst out laughing. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2004, 5:17 pm 
I am sure this thread was about Tourist business operators whine... , so I am confident this thread is not about slagging/flaming Daval or others on this board.

*shrug* as I posted earlier this week, I took a 17 hour road trip between all three atlantic provinces. If other tourists use a simular method, I think it is worth Islanders to look at why tourism is dropping. If it's so easy to travel for a reason, then PEI tourism is indeed in trouble with it's decline. SARS / Mad Cow , and this summer's cool, wet weather can not be the only reason any normal average tourist does not chose to stay here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2004, 5:33 pm 
Site Adjudicator

view wrote:
is also allowed to verbally attack and degrade ppl to.

Daval's comments, while certainly inflammatory, are certainly not any worse than many postings made on these boards. Witness the follow-ups to Daval's recent postings

view wrote:
Good thing you posted rules for the rest of us to follow, you should add one though that Daval is exepmt!!!!!

The "rules" are expectations of members. If I were to follow "the rules" to the letter and punish/chastize every violation, participation on the board would come to a screeching halt.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2004, 9:32 pm 

Quote:
Daval seems to have a bee in his bonnet lately. Which is why I found his statement "just an a**hole who seldom has anything positive to say about anything" so incredibly ironic that I burst out laughing.

Yep, .... I sure do recognize myself there eh? ..... lol .....

Hey guys, I've decended the throne, ... I'm giving up the crown to the corruption as anyone of any integrity would.

Not only is the corruption widely know about by everybody on this backwards "little"island but it seems that the majority of people here actually believe it's the only way to do things or to get things done. ...... Wow!

Way to go people!

It was explained to me by one of my advisors today as I was explaining my perdicament to him, and this is the way I see it, .... As king of all I see,.... alot of what I see is corrupt so that must mean that I am a corrupt king. ..... Hmmmmm, ... I can't have this so desend I must.
Ahhh to join you poor miserable people in your suffering and labour! .... But what else would any sensable person do? Any sensable king when faced with such a truth?

Anyway, my advisor reminded me that the country was rich and beautyful, that the people were good, .... that the children deserved a chance, .... and that it was just partions of my empire that were tainted.

I replyed, ... And Such portions! Portions enough to poisen the whole works! .... Even the King! ....

So you poor people are now even kingless! .... What a bunch!

See you all at the food bank!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2004, 10:00 pm 
Daval: What happened to the short order cook job! Must be free meals there!How come your not promoting your Cd and maybe selling those bootlegger teeshirts! Geeze man get your act together! You can do it! :wink: If you read your ramblings I can see a really true capitalist in you! It makes me shudder at how independent and entreprenurial you are!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2004, 11:08 pm 

Hey lank! I'm working two, three days a week preping, still a bit slow eh?

The studio is open and lots of people viseting but no big money spenders, .... YET! ....
We have lots of different art from all kinds of people. An early Brian Burke for example, ... How about an early Katz? ... you know, ... twice national canadian ice sculpturing champion. We have John Burdon, another excelent local artist, ... many many many, too many to name here!

Hooked rugs are the latest addition, ... Oops! But I'm not allowed to say that! Oh dear! .... I'm done for now!

The fashion show is getting closer and I'm all sold out of CDs! ..... Lost money on them so I'm giveing them away now, .... cheaper than trying to sell them.

My beach glass art is getting rave reviews. .... but much too expensive for poor Islanders eh? ..... lol ..... Oh well! There's always New York!
I'm pretty sure I've sold a six thousand dollor piece but we will see tomorrow for sure eh? ....
I tell you, people from away have no problem with my prices. Most are embarrased that they are as poor as we are but the odd one actually has the cash and buys.

When the locals are done rolling on the ground and laughing they manage to gasp, ... "No dave! .... What's it really worth?"

And I reply, ... Do you really want to know what it's worth?

And they nod excitedly so I explain to them that it IS the ultimate worth and value, .... It's free, ... It's garbage I picked up on the beach and refashioned. .... Totally free, the ULTIMATE value and now you want me to degrade this ultimate value by putting a price on it, ......
So my perdicament, ... Do I degrade it a little? .... Or do I degrade it alot? ..... Well since it's all degradeing, .... I'll degrade it alot thank-you!

Then the eyes get big and there's a glimmer of understanding, ... just a flicker, ... just enough of a spark to reassure me that there is a chance for us all after all.

Then there are those who claim I woun't sell a thing, ... To them I reply, ... That's OK, ... what doesn't sell goes into the oven this fall! I get my solder back I get my glass back! ...and then I can build something that will sell! .... and again, ... their eyes widen in horror as they contemplate what I'm going to do to my ultimate worth and value, to my garbage, ... and this somehow makes my garbage more valueable in their eyes, .... remarkable isn't it?

It's all for the best I assure you! ... everything is fine! .... To tell the truth, .... I'm having a blast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2004, 11:11 pm 
True Islander

I wanted that lighthouse that you had for my aunt... she collects lighthouses... but if I was able to pay the price you had on it, I would have student loan people hounding me every day....

Profile E-mail