Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Two Years Today
PostPosted: July 28th, 2004, 5:20 am 
True Islander

It's been 2 years today since my best friend's body was found in Sherwood, just off the Confederation Trail. From the article that was on the front page of the Guardian yesterday, I got the impression that nothing is being done to try and find her killer. I found that disappointing.

Oh, just FYI.. for those of you who were bugging me to update my webpage on this subject, I have. spent all night working on it, actually.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2004, 6:39 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

:(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2004, 11:12 am 

Gotta give them Charlottetown cops a lot of credit for their competent and astute handling of the case, oh yeah.

Some people who I've talked to from Charlottetown say that the cops know who did it, but they can't prove it.

The cops seem to be pointing their finger at Al Mackenzie, since a partner or other acquaintance is the most likely to do this stuff. Myself, I think it's some kind of Paul Bernardo-type serial killer who was probably off the island within an hour of doing the crime (easy with the bridge). After all, Chrystal was murdered and raped, and God only know what type of sicko is out there emulating Paulie boy. Could be from the States, another province or even overseas. He got Chrystal on an isolated bike trail and since he knew it was tourist season and lots of outsiders come and go, it would be a lot harder to pin him down.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2004, 12:58 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

stevebeairsto wrote:
Gotta give them Charlottetown cops a lot of credit for their competent and astute handling of the case, oh yeah.

Some people who I've talked to from Charlottetown say that the cops know who did it, but they can't prove it.

The cops seem to be pointing their finger at Al Mackenzie, since a partner or other acquaintance is the most likely to do this stuff. Myself, I think it's some kind of Paul Bernardo-type serial killer who was probably off the island within an hour of doing the crime (easy with the bridge). After all, Chrystal was murdered and raped, and God only know what type of sicko is out there emulating Paulie boy. Could be from the States, another province or even overseas. He got Chrystal on an isolated bike trail and since he knew it was tourist season and lots of outsiders come and go, it would be a lot harder to pin him down.

Steve, your stated "most likely scenario" is at odds with your condescension directed at the CPD.

If indeed the most likely scenario is as you think it is, then there is hardly a police force in the world who would have success in solving this tragic and horrible crime.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2004, 1:21 pm 

If indeed the most likely scenario is as you think it is, then there is hardly a police force in the world who would have success in solving this tragic and horrible crime.

Granted, any police force can only do so much, but for the life of me I can't understand why they waited 1-2 months before they started putting those posters up. Woudln't it have made a lot more sense to put them up in a few days at most when people's memory's might've been a little more fresh? What the hell is anybody gonna remember after so long? Also, they didn't seem to do a good job searching the murder site. Didn't they find some items a couple of months after the murder happened in the same field? And why did it take so long to get a forensics expert on the case? They should've done it ASAP, time is of the essence with this type of stuff. I just PRAY they have some DNA evidence from the crime scene, because they'll be totally f**ked trying to prove anything otherwise.

Also, I wonder of they even bothered to check any videos from the bridge to duly record any and all license plates and cars that left the island between the estimated time of the murder and the time of her discovery? He could've still been on the Island for a while, true, but unlikely. If I murdered somebody I couldn't get off the Island fast enough (Trevor Laviolette, anyone?).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2004, 6:31 pm 
Almost an Islander

This is yet another example of how lame and disorganized our "police force" is.. This is not their only unsolved crime and sadly it will likely not be the last. :(

Hopefully justice will come to this 'person' soon. and hopefully not in the form of our comfy cozy prison system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2004, 9:26 pm 

kevindramsay wrote:
This is yet another example of how lame and disorganized our "police force" is.. This is not their only unsolved crime and sadly it will likely not be the last. :(

Hopefully justice will come to this 'person' soon. and hopefully not in the form of our comfy cozy prison system.

We'll be debating this for a long time or until the crime is solved. It makes you wonder whether or not the RCMP could have done more and had this solved by now. They have the manpower, the funding and the equipment afterall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2004, 9:48 pm 
Almost an Islander

Maverick wrote:
kevindramsay wrote:

We'll be debating this for a long time or until the crime is solved. It makes you wonder whether or not the RCMP could have done more and had this solved by now. They have the manpower, the funding and the equipment afterall.

You have to wonder if it is all ego. Let the real cops come in and do the work. Save the city cops for busting up the little cat fights on Kent street and send the real police work to people with training and the resources to use said training.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2004, 9:57 pm 
True Islander

stevebeairsto wrote:
After all, Chrystal was murdered and raped

stevebeairsto wrote:
Also, they didn't seem to do a good job searching the murder site. Didn't they find some items a couple of months after the murder happened in the same field?

Where are you getting your facts from Steve?? Because they're wrong.. Chrystal wasn't raped.. She was left to make it look like she might have been, but she wasn't... And they didn't find anything at the site where she was found months later.. whatever they found.. they haven't told anybody what it was yet... was found behind Staples on University Ave... No where near the Sherwood Public Gardens, where her body was found...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2004, 1:04 am 

Guess my memory of what they said in the news is a tad fuzzy. In any event, the Charlottetown cops should NOT have investigated this thing themselves as they have very little experience or resources in dealing with this stuff. It's not like they're big city cops. They should've deferred it to the RCMP.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2004, 2:12 am 
True Islander

I agree with you there... I still think the city cops spent way too much time trying to prove that Al killed her... I mean, geez... he told me that they questioned him for hours before they even told him that they found her body... in this time they could have been doing other things... like checking cameras to see who was leaving the Island at the bridge... I do know that they questioned all her exboyfriends.. because my boyfriend at the time was one of her ex's.. and they called me looking for him... On the news tonight they said they had leads.. they even said they had a shortlist of suspects... why don't they have at least one person full time looking into those leads?? I really think the city cops dropped the ball on this one... they really should have passed it over to people more experienced in cases such as hers..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2004, 11:42 am 

This case aside...

When I was at the RCMP information session last year, trying to join, we were asked why we chose the RCMP instead of the APA and most of the answers were the same - the RCMP are better equipped, better trained and more respected. Perhaps that's unfair, but that shows the level of confidence lacking in our city police force.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2004, 2:03 pm 

[quote="Rikimae"]I agree with you there... I still think the city cops spent way too much time trying to prove that Al killed her...

Could he have done so? I don't know the guy but if I were a cop he'd definitely be on my list. If there was any abuse going on with him and Chrystal or if their relationship was breaking up, it could certainly provide for motive.

Of course, the same could be said for all her ex's as well. Murder is usually a crime of passion more often than not.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2004, 2:27 pm 
True Islander

No way, no how... His world revolved around her... I went to see him a few days after she was found... he couldn't even go back into his apartment... he was staying at his mother's... anyway, when I saw him, he was sitting on the couch and he was holding onto a stuffed tiger that had belonged to her as if that was all he had left in the world... and when he looked up at me, he couldn't smile... he looked like someone had drained the life from him...... it's a picture I won't soon forget... and it's definately not the picture of someone who just killed his wife...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2004, 5:37 pm 

I feel like a heel now for suspecting him. It could've been on eof the other ex's I guess, but I think really it was one of these serial killer types. They often have a very specific plan in mind when they do crap like this. More than likely he's done it before, and maybe he's done it again. He could be sitting in a jail cell right now if he was caught doing s#!t elsewhere, who knows.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2004, 10:21 pm 
True Islander

I have a theory, but I"m keeping it to myself...... and I can't help but wonder about the girl who was killed in Truro... she was alone, walking down a dirt road, I think...... and there was another one in Ontario... a woman killed on a trail.....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2004, 10:33 pm 
Rikimae wrote:
I have a theory, but I"m keeping it to myself...... and I can't help but wonder about the girl who was killed in Truro... she was alone, walking down a dirt road, I think...... and there was another one in Ontario... a woman killed on a trail.....

Totally, Serial Killer!

God love Crystal and her family