Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Gyms in PEI?
PostPosted: December 29th, 2008, 7:10 pm 
Almost an Islander

Hello,

Is UPEI the best gym in the Charlottetown area? Which are some others?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 29th, 2008, 7:23 pm 

The SPA in the mall and Atlantic Fitness center (two locations in chtown). If you venture to Stratford there is a free gym in the town hall

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 29th, 2008, 7:33 pm 
Almost an Islander

I just got back from the UPEI gym, I find it the best gym over-all. The only downside is, I think it MAY be the most expensive. I would avoid the Spa, I find it to be unsanitary and if the mall is closed on Sundays? wouldn't they be also closed? The one in Stratford doesn't have much equipment, but I guess it's free. The AFC is another good choice, I think they have reasonable rates. When I lived in East Royalty I went to the AFC, but I go to UPEI now. I would suggest UPEI since it's right in town, plus it has the pool( not included in membership fee ), they have the actual gymnasium, track, squash courts, and sauna.( those are included )

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 29th, 2008, 7:41 pm 
True Islander

I think the Delta has a gym also.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 29th, 2008, 7:48 pm 
True Islander

The SPA and the Delta (Downtown Fitness or something) are owned by the same person.

Atlantic Fitness Centre has two spots (Garfield st & below the old Capt Sub).

UPEI has a nice gym (I use this one).

Stratford Town Hall has a gym for residents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 29th, 2008, 8:29 pm 

I think at one time you had to be alumni in order to get a membership at UPEI's gym. Is this still the case?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 29th, 2008, 8:34 pm 
Almost an Islander

muddycrik wrote:
I think at one time you had to be alumni in order to get a membership at UPEI's gym. Is this still the case?

Nope, anyone can get a membership now. At one point they did have a really outdated gym which was not used very much. That could of been the case then, but now anyone can get a membership as this gym is larger then there previous one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 29th, 2008, 8:36 pm 

Great! Any idea what the membership runs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 29th, 2008, 8:39 pm 
Almost an Islander

I'm not 100% sure, but I think a one month is 50.00, three months is 140.00, six months 240.00, and a full year is like 360.00. These numbers are most likely off, but would be fairly close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 29th, 2008, 8:40 pm 
Almost an Islander

having used all the mentioned gyms and others, i think UPEI is the best one. There is one at the stratfordt community center and its the right price: free. Its small though, but it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 29th, 2008, 8:47 pm 

Are there certain times in the day when it's not busy busy? Also, where do you normally park?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 29th, 2008, 9:00 pm 
Almost an Islander

muddycrik wrote:
Are there certain times in the day when it's not busy busy? Also, where do you normally park?

I find usually before closing it's less busy or possibly early in the morning. The gym closes at 8:00PM right now. When students are on vacation for christmas, springbreak, and summer, it tends to not be very busy at all. ( Which is why it closes so early )

There is a large parking lot behind the school which has free parking during certain times of the year. When they put the gates back up, I believe it's free after four, but you can still drive in earlier then just leave after four. I wouldn't worry about parking, theres plenty of space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 29th, 2008, 9:30 pm 

Thanks for all the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 29th, 2008, 10:56 pm 

i've been going to the Atlantic fitness center since i moved here and i like it a lot.... was about $320 when i signed up

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2008, 1:27 am 

Why are gym memberships not subsidized under the health care budget? Does society still look at gym memberships as a luxury?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2008, 3:52 am 

AFC is still the best in my books, although the place is getting a tad run-down. Conversely, the UPEI gym is probably the most modern and comprehensive since the big reno, but I'm not a huge fan of the equipment in the cable weights area. Never cared for the Spa, and the Delta isn't a real gym, but their outdoor hot tub is pretty awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2008, 3:54 am 

Oh, and don't worry too much about the price. A few dollars here and there won't make a difference if you actually like the gym and use it often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2008, 1:09 pm 
Tourist

AFC !

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: March 4th, 2009, 8:31 pm 
AndrewPEI wrote:
Why are gym memberships not subsidized under the health care budget? Does society still look at gym memberships as a luxury?

I was reading this news story tonight and thought of your question Andrew.

National Post
Quote:
Why is it always the short end of the services stick for healthy people?Devon McGregor, National Post
Published: Tuesday, March 03, 2009
Some Canadians are angry. Earlier this year, I wrote a column for this newspaper headlined "The Price of Being Healthy." In it I wondered, why does the medical system download its costs on those who take care of their bodies? In response, I received emails from all across the country from Canadians expressing their agreement but also their outrage.

One email was from a doctor who wrote: "Reading your article on my flight to N.Y.C. to speak to CEOs about taking the lead in health and wellness for themselves and their companies ... tonight when I get to my hotel, I could head out for a high fat calorie meal, [and] write it off as an expense. However, I will head for the gym. The hotel does not have a gym, so I happily pay a daily-use fee. Isn't it ironic that by making a smart choice on wellness, I have to pay, but if I pig out on the great food, I get to write it off as an expense?"

His and many other notes related to me stories of real frustration. The general consensus is that, not only are there no rewards for self care, people are penalized with high costs for making an effort. Some of the email respondents felt that I did not go far enough to highlight how expensive self-managed care can be, or how difficult it is to find a doctor to rely on.

Common sense says that, if there are 10 people sitting in a waiting room, the ones that fall below the "baseline" of good health will be treated first. That is practical. Things get complicated in that, after they leave, there will be others who also fall below the baseline who will want to fill their seat. To those waiting, it's déjà vu all over again. When will there be time for those who have risen well above the baseline?

Looking for answers, I contacted Ontario Minister of Health David Caplan. I asked him what the ministry was doing to relieve some of the angst felt by healthy Canadians who feel health care is geared toward the sick. Though I did not receive a reply directly from him, I did hear from Ed Piccinin of the Correspondence Unit Communications Branch Ministry of Health Promotion. He said: "We also share your views about the importance of personal initiatives that keep people healthy and help to prevent chronic diseases. An important part of the government's plan for health is to prevent people from getting sick in the first place. Keeping people healthy is a key priority of the Ministry of Health Promotion."

Piccinin is, I believe, telling us in vague terms what the ministry is expecting from us all: "We are removing barriers to healthy, active living so that Ontarians, including those most vulnerable to chronic diseases, have greater opportunities to enjoy good health." Most importantly, he goes on to say, "Our strategies focus on nutrition, physical activity, sport and recreation, as well as smoking cessation and prevention."

But there appears to be no plan in place for providing a better health care environment for the healthy. At least not until the sick begin to practise prevention. Only then, it seems, will our health care system be in a position to manage both.

-Devon McGregor, BFA, BSc, human kinetics, is a fitness expert with more than 18 years experience and co-founder of Balance, a Toronto fitness centre.

info@balancefit.com

So you are not the only person asking these questions in these days of living right and trying to be healthier. Look back 30 years when people were able to smoke at their desks. Or 40-50 years ago when a few beers with lunch was normal. Norms are changing becasue people want them to.

Post subject: Re: Gyms in PEI?
PostPosted: March 5th, 2009, 1:39 pm 
Tourist

Personally, I do prefer UPEI, since I do go to UPEI. I also do have a membership at the SPA in the Charlottetown Mall. I personally don't mind the SPA and I actually like the atmosphere a lot more. It's also open until 10:30 during the week.

I've had a membership at AFC on Garfield and frankly I do not enjoy downstairs, but upstairs isn't too bad. Adequate equipment, I'm just not a fan of the meathead-atmosphere.