* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper Martini Mondays at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $5.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Monday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 11:56 am 
True Islander

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't see the original poster inquiring about litter, or snow removal between communities. I don't see how this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 11:57 am 
Almost an Islander

Kreskin wrote:
peiguy wrote:
Having lived in both Summerside & Charlottetown, one of the big differences that I notice is the lack of places to eat in Summerside. As part of my job I used to organize lunch meetings for groups of 10-15 people all across PEI. Very few places to do this in Summerside other than the loyalist.... Charlottetown has numerous.

Agreed. But then the population of the Charlottetown area is three times the size of Summerside's too, so naturally there will be more options.

Just like Summerside has more options than Tignish, Kensington, Montague or Souris :)

You would think, but I've found it easier to book restaurants in smaller communities than in Summerside.... Seems to be mainly fast food places in Summerside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 12:30 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

pei_guy11 wrote:
Kreskin wrote:
in Summerside, you often see people picking up other people's litter

You've actually seen this? "often"??? Gross.

Yes, and in fact, I "often" did it myself. Still do. Sorry for having pride in my community and caring about the environment.

pei_guy11 wrote:
So would you suggest that we adopt the same "take charge attitude" as Summerside and shovel the streets ourselves?

Summersiders don't have to shovel the streets themselves. The city does a great job of it all on their own. I remember seeing something in the paper about 7 or 8 years ago saying that Summerside had twice as many sidewalk plows and snowblowers as did Charlottetown (a city three times the size). And most of Summerside's sidwalk plows and sanders were equiped with trailers that distributed sand or salt as the conditions warranted.

pei_guy11 wrote:
You can quote this typical "Charlottonian" anytime when I say "let government (or someone else) do it". I don't know about you, but when we pay as much taxes as we do, I don't blame people for expecting to have a clean city without having to pick up some idiot's garbage that shouldn't have been put there in the first place.

Thanks for the additional evidence about the difference between the two places :wink:

But, please forgive this relatively new Charlottonian, for expressing a little bit of pride in his new city of residence by helping keep it looking attractive by occasionally picking up other people's litter and by not putting my garbage at roadside to fester for weeks before the cleanup week :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 12:34 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

peiguy wrote:
You would think, but I've found it easier to book restaurants in smaller communities than in Summerside.... Seems to be mainly fast food places in Summerside.

Brothers Two. Linkletter. Gentleman Jim's. The Regent. Slemon Park. Katrina's.

All have facilities to hold business luncheons.

And I'm sure that I am forgetting some.

Last edited by kreskin on February 7th, 2007, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 12:35 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

socktan wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't see the original poster inquiring about litter, or snow removal between communities. I don't see how this helps.

Understood. But perhaps if one poster had not denigrated one community, this particular discussion would not have erupted :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 12:47 pm 
Almost an Islander

*raises hand*

My bad! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 12:53 pm 
Almost an Islander

Kreskin wrote:
pei_guy11 wrote:
Kreskin wrote:
in Summerside, you often see people picking up other people's litter

You've actually seen this? "often"??? Gross.

Yes, and in fact, I "often" did it myself. Still do. Sorry for having pride in my community and caring about the environment.

No need to apologize. People express their pride in different ways. I applaud your dedication.

Kreskin wrote:
pei_guy11 wrote:
So would you suggest that we adopt the same "take charge attitude" as Summerside and shovel the streets ourselves?

Summersiders don't have to shovel the streets themselves. The city does a great job of it all on their own. I remember seeing something in the paper about 7 or 8 years ago saying that Summerside had twice as many sidewalk plows and snowblowers as did Charlottetown (a city three times the size). And most of Summerside's sidwalk plows and sanders were equiped with trailers that distributed sand or salt as the conditions warranted.

Well *toot toot*.

I never said people in Summerside shovel the streets themselves nor did I say the snow removal in Charlottetown was better than Summerside's. I am simply asking whether tax payers should adopt the same attitude and do it ourselves (i.e. take it up the behind) or demand that these basic services that we already pay for get done?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 12:53 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Corden wrote:
*raises hand*

My bad! :lol:

:shock:

Nooooooo.

I was talking about TTBoy :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 12:58 pm 
Almost an Islander

Well, I may as well ask this... may add fuel to the fire.. ;-)

How is the job market in Charlottetown.. particularly the tech sector/IT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 12:59 pm 
True Islander

Kreskin wrote:
socktan wrote:

Understood. But perhaps if one poster had not denigrated one community, this particular discussion would not have erupted :wink:

It's a typical and predictable direction for many threads on this topic. Everyone is entitled to their opinion however accurate or inaccurate those opinions are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 1:09 pm 

:shock: WOW now all this sure would want to make me move to PEI lol.....

Corden If your wife gets her promotion and you end up Moving to PEI ... NO matter what town or City you end up in I am sure you will love it here .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 1:14 pm 
Almost an Islander

/laugh

I am sure of it... good friends of ours (daughters Godparents) are from there (Summerside) originally, and they have nothing but glowing things to say.

I have yet to visit the Island, but I know I will love it when I do, whether it is to live, or just to be a tourist..

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 1:14 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

pei_guy11 wrote:
I am simply asking whether tax payers should adopt the same attitude and do it ourselves (i.e. take it up the behind) or demand that these basic services that we already pay for get done?

Pride in one's home, or the city where one's home is located, has to start somewhere.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 1:16 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

carlottajoy2002 wrote:
Corden If your wife gets her promotion and you end up Moving to PEI ... NO matter what town or City you end up in I am sure you will love it here .

EXACTLY! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 1:49 pm 

:D :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 3:20 pm 
Almost an Islander

Kreskin wrote:
peiguy wrote:

Brothers Two. Linkletter. Gentleman Jim's. The Regent. Slemon Park. Katrina's.

All have facilities to hold business luncheons.

And I'm sure that I am forgetting some.

Last time I called the Brothers 2 they were closed. I think they've become seasonal now. Tried GJ's but it's so crowded with seniors at lunchtime that it's hard to actually conduct any business. Is the regent still open? Slemon Park is a good idea I'll check into that one next time. Good for people coming from western PEI too. Is Katrina's in Slemon Park. Never heard of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 3:30 pm 

The Regent has changed names a couple of times since then, I'm not sure about where Katrina's is either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 3:57 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

It may not be called Katrina's any more (and it may not be that great anymore ... or even still in business) ... it is in that hotel across the Highway from the flea market in St. Eleanor's.

GJ's has private rooms for luncheons (or used to) ... are the seniors booking those up too?

I will admit that I am a bit out of touch ... it has been 6 years since I moved to C'twn.

Linkletter's (or whatever it is called now) and the Regent (whatever it is called now) is where my (former) Summerside employer used to hold all their lunch functions since they had the "banquet" rooms for such things.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 4:20 pm 

OOOhhhh, Kristina's (at the Econo Lodge), yeah pass it nearly every day but never have eaten there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 7:32 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

The Loyalist, Brother's Two, The Silver Fox Club, Linkletter Inn and convention Centre, Gentleman Jim's, O'Ryan's Pub, Anson's (Slemon Park) and I believe the new wellness centre will also have capacity for lunch meetings or larger gatherings.

I agree with Kreskin in that Summersiders have great pride in their city, and I believe the mayor has a lot to do with that.

And I pick up litter too, K. Especially if it's on the beach ~ can't stand litter on the beach! There is nothing shameful about cleaning up your community.