* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Cost of basement renovation
PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 11:24 am 
Almost an Islander

Right now we just have uninsulated outside walls and we would like to make a family room, laundry room, small powder room and bedroom. I do work at Kent so supplies would be less than retail.
I know there was a thread about this but I can't find it anymore.
Any ideas on contractors and do they give free estimates? Does a contractor actually help you with the design or just do the work.

Post subject: Re: Cost of basement renovation
PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 11:43 am 
Tourist

Any good contractor would come and give you an estimate. I would draft a basic idea of what you want and then have someone come and look at it. You would definitely want to get someone with a good reputation though because if they don't know what they are doing or if they want to pad their bill then you could be in trouble. To be on the safe side, I'd probably talk to 2 or 3 different contractors to compare what they tell you you'll need and their costs.
I used Queen's County Construction for a roof job a couple years ago and found them to be good.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 1:14 pm 

If you wanted this done in February, my brother and I could do it for you if you had the supplies delivered. My brother is able to do designs and could give you a quote on labor and tell you what supplies would need to be ordered. He has done several basements in the past, all looked great when completed and have served the test of time.

Send me a PM if you are interested and I will pass on your name and number to him.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 1:22 pm 
True Islander

Kerry wrote:
Right now we just have uninsulated outside walls and we would like to make a family room, laundry room, small powder room and bedroom. I do work at Kent so supplies would be less than retail.
I know there was a thread about this but I can't find it anymore.
Any ideas on contractors and do they give free estimates? Does a contractor actually help you with the design or just do the work.

barebones..... nothing fancy ... min 10k.

you dont get much for 10 k either.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 1:38 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Kerry wrote:
I do work at Kent

JP Mac wrote:
draft a basic idea of what you want

Kerry, Kent (at least the Charlottetown branch) has a service where you can bring your rough sketch or outline of your reno and an estimate of the cost of building materials and/or a professional blueprint will be provided. Makes dealing with a contractor much easier and straightforward (and they can give you a much more reliable estimate). PM me if you want the name of the person at the Charlottetown Kent location who does this sort of thing, if your own branch doesn't.

Kent also does contracting, so you should be able to get a price break on more than the materials aspect (unless Kent's policy on that is different than Schurman's was).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 1:41 pm 
True Islander

kreskin wrote:

Kent also does contracting, so you should be able to get a price break on more than the materials aspect (unless Kent's policy on that is different than Schurman's was).

see also the last thread on basement renos and the trouble they had going that route.

to clarrify... the service is free , if you buy your material thru kent.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 2:38 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

linetwig wrote:
kreskin wrote:

see also the last thread on basement renos and the trouble they had going that route.

Must have missed that thread :)

I never had problems using Schurman's small projects contracting (plus I would get the employee discount on labour as well as materials :D ). Perhaps under Kent is is different.

linetwig wrote:
to clarrify... the service is free , if you buy your material thru kent.

As she said she would be :wink:

However, that is not always necessarily true (but yes, that is a proviso they stipulate ... quite understandable, eh?). As long standing good customers of Kent, all we had to tell then was that we would, if possible, try to get the contractor to buy their materials thru Kent. When we finally got a contractor (what a hassle that was!), it turned out that they dealt exclusively with BMR. Next time we saw Matt, we told him what had happened and offered to pay for the work he had done ... he just smiled and told us that they understand that sort of thing can happen from time to time and that what matters more to them is that we remain happy customers of Kent ... so no charge for the plans and estimates he had provided us :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 2:52 pm 
True Islander

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20715

PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 4:25 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

linetwig wrote:
http://www.peiinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20715

My eyes must be going :lol: ... can't see any reference to Kent in that thread :oops:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 4:35 pm 
Almost an Islander

if you work at Kent, go talk to the people on the contrator's desk..... they can certainly suggest GOOD contractors.

Hiring a contractor that purchases from your employer also helps keep the money flowing, if ya know what I mean!!

PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 4:48 pm 
True Islander

kreskin wrote:
linetwig wrote:
http://www.peiinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20715

My eyes must be going :lol: ... can't see any reference to Kent in that thread :oops:

G-Unit .. Post subject: Re: Need advice on GOOD contractor to renovate basementPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:25 pm

Posts: 800 I don't know much on who to Reccomend, but I'd advise avoiding "Gerry Hickey Construction". We had three bathrooms renovated through Kent building supplies in '06 and Gerry Hickey was the contractor.

Not a good experience, and not good results.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 9:37 pm 
Kent is king in NB, absolute king. Piercey's rules NS.

Too bad about Schurman's being swallowed whole by the Irving clan.

Sad the way to whole deal went down with all the family members being fired and all. :(

PostPosted: January 30th, 2009, 8:23 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Hot Buttered Elves wrote:
Too bad about Schurman's being swallowed whole by the Irving clan.

Sad the way to whole deal went down with all the family members being fired and all. :(

Interesting take on the situation. Entirely wrong, but interesting.

Mike Schurman and the Irvings maintained a close business relationship for many years, a relationship initiated by Mike when it became obvious that none of his three daughters were particularly interested in taking over the family business when Mike decided to hang 'em up.

There was no "swallowing whole" and no firing of all the family members (there was only a son-in-law actively involved in any of the Schurman companies. One of the daughters had been involved with the engineering operation but had gone out on her own into real estate development ventures). Mike and his three daughters (as minority directors of MFSCL) were handsomely rewarded when Mike handed over the reigns to the Irvings.

Sadly, the facts of the situation can't measure up to the juicy drama of the fiction you presented. Sorry to rain on your parade. I probably ruined your chances of selling the screenplay to Hollywood, eh? :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 6th, 2018, 2:25 am 
Newly Created Account

My friend who lives in the 9th line and 16th avenue area ... also a townhouse ... basement was about 700 sq ft ... got his done for $10000 with a wet bar ... basically the contractor re-located some air ducts to give a higher clearance ... moved some of the drainage pipes to give a wider area ...

Pot lights ... quartz counter top for wet bar ... one large play area for the kids ... one area with a three-seater and a two-seater with wall mount TV lounging area ... a storage room with door under the straight stairwell ... furnace / hot water tank was walled up into a room for some storage ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 7th, 2018, 6:43 am 
Newly Created Account

My friend who lives in the 9th line and 16th avenue area ... also a townhouse ... basement was about 700 sq ft ... got his done for $10000 with a wet bar ... basically the contractor re-located some air ducts to give a higher clearance ... moved some of the drainage pipes to give a wider area ...

Pot lights ... quartz counter top for wet bar ... one large play area for the kids ... one area with a three-seater and a two-seater with wall mount TV lounging area ... a storage room with door under the straight stairwell ... furnace / hot water tank was walled up into a room for some storage ...

Profile E-mail