* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: House I'm renting was sold - tenant rights question
PostPosted: May 12th, 2017, 12:06 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hey folks, I see a lot of good discussions here from landlords and tenants about renting in PEI, so I'm trying my luck. Bit of a long post, sorry.

My wife and I moved into a duplex in Charlottetown a year ago with a standard 1-year lease. About a week after we moved in, the landlord tells me he's putting all his properties up for sale. It took until December for our place to sell, and the new owner decided to keep the tenants, or so we were told by the old realtor. The new owner doesn't speak a lot of English and I'm not sure I'm always understanding what he means to say, or that he understands me.

Around that time, new owner asked us if we were planning to stay for a long time. I've said yes, we would like to stay, we'd like to put money away for a house and we like where we are. We've been planning to stay put until we can afford our own house, and we're a pretty long way off since we just moved from Ontario.

A couple months after that he started pushing us to sign a new lease. It's the same lease with all the same terms from the previous owner, nothing wrong with it except that it's a three-month lease. He explains to me (I think, I'm not sure if I'm understanding) that he's going to move into the other side of the duplex and do renovations, and then after the three month lease ends he's going to rent that side out and do renovations to our side. As he's going through pointing out that all the extra terms are the same (the old landlord wrote in that we could have cats) he mentions that when he rents our unit out to new tenants he's not going to allow pets. That suggests to me that he's trying to force us to leave so that he can re-rent, which I'm pretty sure he's not allowed to do. And the old owner gutted the place before we moved in because the previous tenants left the place pretty well destroyed, so there's absolutely nothing that needs to be renovated, especially not to the point that would require emptying the unit.

I refused to sign the new lease, knowing that our original lease converts to month-to-month at the end of the original term. I tried to explain my view of the situation to him in an email, to which he replied by saying that if he decides not to redecorate then we can stay. I don't think he's allowed to remove tenants so that he can paint or move furniture around or whatever, and it's our furniture anyway, but the neighbours did move out last week and I don't know what that situation is. I've been documenting everything, of course.

So what I'm wondering is, is there a situation where he can do something like claim he's converting our unit to personal use or something, and then once we move out "change his mind" and re-rent to new tenants? And if so, do we have any defense against that?

tl;dr: Owner sold the house I'm renting, new owner might try to evict us to re-rent to someone else, what can we do?

Also, if anyone is interested in maybe renting to four professional adults with two cats and a dog and all their own furniture in three months or so, bookmark this thread :/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: House I'm renting was sold - tenant rights question
PostPosted: May 14th, 2017, 7:54 am 
Almost an Islander

From google:
http://www.irac.pe.ca/rental/
http://tenantrights.ca/facts/prince-edward-island