* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Sunday Brunch at Rodd Royalty for $16.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Dollar General ups commitment to Kenseth ride in the #20
PostPosted: November 6th, 2012, 10:58 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Quote:
As many companies are trending away from full-season sponsorships in the Sprint Cup Series, Dollar General is moving toward a 36-race commitment.

CEO Rick Dreiling said the discount retailer will increase its spending on NASCAR for the sixth consecutive year, backing Joe Gibbs Racing's No. 20 Toyota driven by Matt Kenseth for 17 races starting with next year's Daytona 500. That's up from 12 races this season.

"Our goal is to grow into a full-time Cup ride," Dreiling told USA TODAY Sports. "But it's a little soon to commit if that's going to be next year or two to four years from now. That's all down the road."

Dollar General also will sponsor a full-time car fielded by JGR for Brian Vickers in the Nationwide Series next season.

Dreiling, who wouldn't disclose figures but called the deal part of an "orderly, methodical growth," said stock-car racing is the company's only national sports sponsorship because of internal marketing research that indicates its customers are 30 times more likely to be NASCAR fans than average consumers.

"We're giving them what they want, and the venue they want is that chance for us to advertise nationally on the side of the car," Dreiling said. "We just think it's a match made in heaven. When the car runs up front, the media exposure is priceless. You look at the guys like Matt Kenseth who can consistently drive up front, and that's who you want to be aligned with."

Team owner Joe Gibbs said Home Depot, which has been sponsoring the No. 20 since 1999 but scaled back to 24 races this season, will pick up the other 19 races for Kenseth in 2013.

"Home Depot's been a great partner, and we still have a long-term deal with them," Gibbs said. "When Dollar General came on the scene, they were able to work out things between the two companies, and we kind of met both of their objectives, which is great for us."

Though he lacks the advantages of outside business ventures of rivals Rick Hendrick and Roger Penske (whose automotive dealerships can offer marketing and business incentives for their teams' sponsors), Gibbs said his team has kept pace by trying to foster "business to business" deals between its backers.

JGR gathers more than 30 of its sponsors for annual summits that are aimed at brainstorming opportunities that can help justify a NASCAR investment by generating revenue.

"It's a huge deal," he said. "You've got the smartest people in marketing with these companies, and it's a matter of, 'How do we work together?'

"When a CEO says, 'Am I going to spend this kind of money?', things are huge for them like, 'How much shipping does FedEx do for our partners? How much Mars candy is sold at Dollar Generals?' It goes back and forth," Gibbs said.

"It brings a lot of benefit to these companies, and the CEOs are very mindful of where they put their resources and marketing. We've earned our way."

JGR still is seeking more primary sponsorship in Sprint Cup to expand to a fourth car, but it will grow on the Nationwide Series in 2013.

Vickers will drive one of three full-time cars next season on the second-tier circuit for JGR, which fielded two full-time Camrys this year.

"We've never had this many sponsors come to us interested in Nationwide," Gibbs said. "It's been an outstanding year for us."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dollar General ups commitment to Kenseth ride in the #20
PostPosted: November 6th, 2012, 11:11 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Yay! Now I can get some new #20 gear with Dollar General's black/yellow colours in good conscience. Mrs. K had already told me I wasn't going to be wearing orange, so any new #20 gear in Home Depot's orange/white was definitely out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 6th, 2012, 11:36 am 

Was she not a fan of Tony, or Joey? Or was it just Home Depot in general?

Orange is a fine color... nice and vibrant. Meh, what can I say, my driver has a target on his hood :)

PostPosted: November 6th, 2012, 11:52 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

frdalton wrote:
Was she not a fan of Tony, or Joey? Or was it just Home Depot in general?

Orange is a fine color... nice and vibrant. Meh, what can I say, my driver has a target on his hood :)

She is ambivalent about Tony (acknowledges that he is a great driver and great person but is put off by his past tantrums) and absolutely loves Joey (she has met and talked with Joey a couple of times and thinks he is a fantastic young man). And we've put a few thousand into Home Depot's income ledger this year alone (heaven help me if we ever get a Lowe's :lol: ).

Nope, it is just the colour. She doesn't like it as a colour for clothing apparel (except as an accent).

Profile E-mail