* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Four in a row for Island drivers
PostPosted: July 24th, 2005, 10:26 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Dale Holmes made it four in a row for Island stock car drivers at their home track on the Pro Stock Tour. After waiting over 15 years for an Island driver to take the checkered at one of the two Pro Stock Tour (previously MASCAR) races each year, our boys seem to have taken a lock on it.

And each time, it has been a different driver (Kent Livingstone, Kent Vincent, Greg Proude and now Dale Holmes). Livingstone finished second making the second one-two finish in a row for Islandes at Oyster Bed Bridge. It looked possible that it would be a one-two-three finish as Kris Fournier was challenging for third with only three or four laps remaining but a nudge from another car dropped Kris to seventh.

It was full moon racing with major accidents happening all night ... almost all of them happening right in front of me and Mrs. K (and the former Mrs. K. who joined us for the evening). They are going to have a lot of work to do to repair the damage to the guardrail at the pit entrance. I haven't seen that many spectacular accidents in many years.

Other Island drivers were fairing quite well until beset with a variety of problems. For instance, Greg Proude was making a hard charge to the front when a bit of sloppy driving by one of the other competitors forced him to become airborne over turn one. But some quick repairs had him back on the track before the green and he moved from the back of the pack to sixth place before his engine blew. Kent Vincent was also charging hard through the pack of 26 cars and reached third place before his engine gave out. Others were the victims of being in the wrong place at the wrong time when cars spun out in front of them.

One ugly incident saw two time Pro Stock champion John Flemming come back out on the track several laps down after an incident caused by Wayne Smith had damaged his car. Flemming, to his discredit (and that of his sponsors) went head hunting for Smith ... who was leading the race with 10 laps remaining ... and took Smith out in a very deliberate move that I expect will draw severe reprimands from Tour officials ... and possibly the loss of sponsorship ... this was the Atlantic Dodge Dealers 100 and Flemming was driving the flagship car of the Atlantic Dodge Dealers. Not the kind of image that the Dodge Dealers want driving thheir car :roll:

But all in all, a great night of racing!!!

Last edited by kreskin on July 25th, 2005, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2005, 11:03 am 
Tourist

I haven't been to Oysterbed for the stocks in a long while. When is the next time (if any) that the tour is back on the Island?

I was involved in and followed the stocks (and drags) a while ago but got involved with other things that prevented me from attending. I do like a good race and the evening out was always something we looked forward to. I might have to start going again.

At one time I did the behind the scenes work to keep three cars on the track. We raced at both Oysterbed and at East River Raceways. Don't know where we found the time or the money.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2005, 5:58 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Dusty wrote:
When is the next time (if any) that the tour is back on the Island?

That was the second and last time for 2005. Next time will be the Canada Day weekend in 2006.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2005, 9:43 am 

Our guys are doing very well. Quite impressive. It certainly was a great night of racing (even the weather cooperated!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2005, 4:07 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

LittleE wrote:
(even the weather cooperated!!)

Remember the movie "If its Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium"?

For the last couple of summers, it seems like a good motto for PEI weather forecasters should be "If it is Saturday, it is going to rain" (or threaten to rain).

Profile E-mail