* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Sunday Brunch at Rodd Royalty for $16.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Baseball or soccer?
PostPosted: June 13th, 2005, 11:18 pm 

Amazes me how soccer has almost completely replaced baseball as the most popular summer sport for kids - and it's not even close.

The other night, I was umpiring a PeeWee baseball game, and there were a few parents around (Mulberry Park).

On the adjacent soccer field, however, there were large throngs of parents attending - about 5 times as many people as at the baseball game.....probably close to the same number of players, though, when you think about it.

Moms prefer soccer for two reasons:

1) They KNOW that the game is going to be exactly one hour long, sometimes less - they can stay and chat with their friends for an hour, or take off and come back exactly an hour later - soccer fits much better into their schedule than baseball does....with baseball, you have no idea how long the game is going to be.

2) Soccer at the kiddie level requires little or no skill - the 8-year-olds just run around and spend energy - some of them go the whole hour without ever touching the ball; Little Johnny doesn't get singled out, he doesn't have to handle grounders or catch fly balls, make throws to first base, or stand in the batter's box and try to hit the ball....he just runs around, and doesn't get to screw up when it's his turn....mothers like that a lot

Not sure if baseball has a future on this island - it's in steep decline, enrollment is going down every year....coaching is mediocre, and the kids, with a few exceptions, just don't develop the skills.

Baseball PEI needs to recognize and address this problem - SOON!

Or we'll just be raising a generation of ball chasers, instead of skilled athletes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2005, 1:09 am 
Almost an Islander

i like both sports but i'd have to say soccer is more athletic

i played soccer as a kid

and now that i am older i am trying ball, for fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2005, 7:49 am 

I can tell you that baseball is coming on strong again in Cardigan. We went from only enough for a few teams a few years ago to somewhere in the area of 160 kids this year. For a small area 160 is a fairly big number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2005, 11:48 am 

Socrates, you're right!

Although Cardigan's Kings County team folded two years ago, interest in younger age groups is picking up.

Did a PeeWee provincial tournament last September, and the organizers did EVERYTHING right.

They had three fields going, lots of refreshments, plenty of baseballs, and the fields themselves were in great shape, even though it had rained the day before.

Big crowd, lots of fun.

Kudos to Eddie MacAulay and his crew!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2005, 12:27 pm 
My daughter plays soccer in the summer, has for the past 4 years. We tried t-ball when she was younger but she didn't like it. I do prefer to watch baseball to be honest and would love if she played ball! Maybe next year she will wanna play who knows! I would be happy though if she decided to switch sports! Watching her play hockey in the winter, ball in the summer, much more enjoyable.

I was surprised tho this year that in Emma's age group there are only 3 groups of under 10 girls teams in the Charlottetown area, and they are not big teams at all. With the popularity of soccer I thought there would be a few more at least!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2005, 2:57 pm 

Daughter who plays soccer, softball and hockey all summer. She was playing softball for years but wanted to try soccer for one year. We foolishily agreed to let her play both that summer as a 1 year trial. She was to decide before the next summer which one she was going to play. Again the crazy parents we are she convininced us to let her keep playing both (this is her 4th summer at both), as well she is playing hockey with a group once a week all summer.

As parents I know we need our head read for allowing this to happen, especially since our summers are so short. But I know where my daughter is at all times, more than I can say for many parents with kids the same age.

After all these sports she is wiped so no running the streets on what little free time she has.

Never hold your farts in. They travel to your brain and that's where shitty ideas come from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2005, 9:34 am 

Steel Dragon - are you implying that baseball players are skilled athletes and soccer players are just ball chasers!!

How much physical activity is there in baseball?? I'd like to see some of those players try to keep up with a soccer player - probably not eh??

I love baseball as well - but don't knock soccer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2005, 9:35 am 

Oh and by the way - there are "dads" that have kids in soccer as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2005, 10:28 am 

LittleE

If you watch little kids playing soccer, you'll see that there's very little skill being developed.

As I said, the mothers (and some dads) like soccer mostly because a) the games are shorter, with a time limit, and b) Little Johnny doesn't get singled out.

LIttle kids find soccer easy and baseball difficult - that's why there's no real baseball under the age of 10 - check it out.

There's skill in soccer, same as other sports like football and hockey - but nothing compares to baseball in terms of difficult skills to master.

Baseball is the ultimate democratic game - anyone can play, doesn't matter how big or small you are, you are judged strictly on your skills, and it doesn't rely on brute force, like football, or goonery and stupidity, like hockey.

I have nothing against soccer - it's just that I find it boring and also regrettable that kids are giving up baseball for soccer - very few of them have the time to play both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2005, 10:38 am 

Oh Please!!! Obviously you have never had the skills to play any other sport than baseball. I played baseball when I was younger - it's boring!! Kids these days like to go, go go!!! And there are plenty of skills needed to play soccer!

Your comments about parents having their kids in soccer just to dump them somewhere for a while is ridiculous!! Perhaps you should consider putting your kids in soccer - since baseball is on it's way out!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2005, 12:10 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

LittleE wrote:
Oh Please!!! Obviously you have never had the skills to play any other sport than baseball. I played baseball when I was younger - it's boring!! Kids these days like to go, go go!!! And there are plenty of skills needed to play soccer!

Perhaps you and Steel are talking about different age groups? Yes, I can see why you would say that baseball would be boring to an 8 year old because there isn't the constant go, go, go. But as a child becomes older, when size and weight are becoming factors as they enter their teens, baseball likely has more attraction to a kid blessed with good hand-eye coordination (a prime requisite of success at most sports).

My youngest daughter was blessed with superior athletic skills (thanks to the genes from her mother who was a multisport athlete at the national level). As an eight year old, she loved soccer - scored 6 goals in her first game. After a couple of seasons, she got bored with it because it was "too easy" and wanted more of a challenge. She thought hockey might offer that challenge. As a 10 year old with 3 months experience in the game, she was offered a spot on the provincial Canada Games development team. But although the sport offered the challenges she was looking for, she found it too rough for her liking (*phew* it was rough on the old man's wallet too). After a couple of years of "trying out" various sports, she finally settled on softball and basketball as her primary sports because they challenged her athletic skills without the body contact requirements of other sports that her non-violent nature disliked.

May I ask a question? How many adult soccer leagues are there on the Island? As many as there are for baseball/softball?

I ask because I remember a comment made by her mother once in explaining why she (her mom, my ex)) had decided to quit the national under 19 girl's soccer team and concentrate on her other loves ... basketball and softball. She said she was looking ahead to her 20's, 30's and 40's ... that she knew she wasn't good enough to earn a living from her athletic skills but she knew that she would want to playing some sport or other as long as she could. Where she lived at the time, there were many high quality adult women softball and basketball leagues.

Is it the same today? I see lots and lots of adults playing baseball/softball at diamonds all over the city, but all I ever see on the soccer fields are the kids. Given the increased popularity of the game over the last couple of decades, I am surprised to see so few adults still playing the game.

LittleE wrote:
Your comments about parents having their kids in soccer just to dump them somewhere for a while is ridiculous!!

I thought it was a rather astute observation on Steel's part. It may not be valid in your case (as you obviously feel) but it would be valid for many ... too many.

Last edited by kreskin on June 16th, 2005, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2005, 12:22 pm 

I agree with you Kreskin. I just felt that Steel Dragon was knocking soccer!

It's nice to hear that your daughter is a well rounded athlete!! It's always good to try something new!

I think whatever makes the kids happy - they should do it. Don't push them into the sport that the parent's want them to be "star athletes" in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2005, 1:12 pm 

Kreskin how is your daughter na dis she living on the Island now?

Never hold your farts in. They travel to your brain and that's where shitty ideas come from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2005, 7:33 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

view wrote:
Kreskin how is your daughter na dis she living on the Island now?

Yes, I forgot to mention that somewhere along the line, boys became a bigger "challenge" for her than sports. I will admit to being a bit disappointed, but as LittleE mentioned, it is important not to push your child too hard about sports. We never did and I wasn't about to then ... despite having to pay for her college rather than take one of those American school scholarships :cry: :wink: :)

Yes, she still is on the Island.

Regs here will remember my story a few months ago of her "miracle" pregnancy (she was in hospital earlier this week, but after a tense 24 hours, everything okay again). God willing, in a few months she will give me something more special than any trophy or scholarship :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2005, 8:28 am 

Congrats when the baby arrives,

The point of my last post was to let you know that last winter was the kick off season for the new Island Womens Hockey League (IWHL). It was a great year with 5 teams entered, sort of a competitive rec type league. Lots of talent and the girls had fun, ages ranged from 18 to 40+. She should look into it or PM me and I will give you contact names and numbers. Last season there were a couple new mothers who used this as their time away escape, great way to releive stress.

PS there were teams based in O'Leary, Summerside & C'town. Holland College & UPEI both played in the league also. UPEI is re-entering the university league this season. Talk of two new teams one based in Crapaud and the other in Morell.

Post subject: Golf
PostPosted: June 17th, 2005, 1:27 pm 
True Islander

Did you know that Golf is the fastest growing sport
in Canada?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2005, 2:28 pm 

"....Did you know that Golf is the fastest growing sport
in Canada?.."

It could be, though I'm not sure how you'd define "fastest growing" - largest % increase in number of participants?

One thing I do notice, however, is that young people are playing more and more - a lot of men age 15-19 are taking it up.

Even my two dragon children have started golfing - one of them was very pleased when he came home, he'd shot a 76........for 9 holes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2005, 5:48 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

view wrote:
Congrats when the baby arrives,

The point of my last post was to let you know that last winter was the kick off season for the new Island Womens Hockey League (IWHL). It was a great year with 5 teams entered, sort of a competitive rec type league. Lots of talent and the girls had fun, ages ranged from 18 to 40+. She should look into it or PM me and I will give you contact names and numbers. Last season there were a couple new mothers who used this as their time away escape, great way to releive stress.

PS there were teams based in O'Leary, Summerside & C'town. Holland College & UPEI both played in the league also. UPEI is re-entering the university league this season. Talk of two new teams one based in Crapaud and the other in Morell.

That is wonderful that this opportunity for adult women to play hockey is now available.

However, if you reread my initial post, you'll notice that although she excelled at the game at an early age ... she gave it up because she didn't particularly like the game (go figure, huh? couldn't have gotten enough of my genes).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2005, 2:58 pm 
True Islander

Growing up I was always playing soccer and loved it. Lots of great stories too.

Soccer was always the cheaper alternative to hockey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2005, 2:37 pm 
Almost an Islander

and you can golf alot longer in life than you can play hockey, soccer or baseball at a competitive level