* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Greatest hockey game ever. Period.
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 2:15 pm 
True Islander

37 years ago - September 28th, 1972. Canada v. U.S.S.R.

Canada beat the USSR in game 8 of the Summit series with a goal by Paul Henderson with just seconds left in the game to claim hockey supremacy. No overtime would have happened - the Soviets were ready to claim victory based on their greater goal count - but it wasn't even an issue. Foster Hewett screamed and the country erupted in living rooms, dens and TV retail and repair shops across the country.

Before the series, most predicted a cake-walk. Me included. Canada's Phil Esposito scored 30 seconds into the game, and I remember saying "See...just like I said. The final score will be 120-0". Boy, was I wrong. So was everybody else. It all turned into another one of those "Where were you" events.

Today, Russians in the NHL - people would have said you were nuts if you said it was possible back then. It was more then just hockey, it was communism versus freedom. They were the enemy. They were like robots that were required to keep to their system, while Canadian players represented free choice. It was war. All out war.

We won. Barely. 37 years ago today.

Post subject: Re: Greatest hockey game ever. Period.
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 2:56 pm 

Best game ever played was the Miracle on Ice game when the USA beat Russia in the 1980 semi-final game against Russia.

Canada showed up fat and lazy and under achieved at the 1972 series and were lucky to get a win out of it.

The US in 1980 were big underdogs and won against all odds.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 5:50 pm 
True Islander

If you look close in the picture, right behind Bobby Clarke (Canadian player w/curly hair and no teeth), you can see local Rocket owner Serge Savard, who with Guy Lapointe, (background) were a defenseman combination that was a main contributor to the Les Canadiens de Montréal dynasty of the '70's.

Larry Robinson would eventually fill Serge's skates quite well, but Danny Galivan coined the Serge "spinerama" move that many have tried to emulate but only Orr was able to duplicate with any great success.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 6:08 pm 
Almost an Islander

Mulligan wrote:
Larry Robinson would eventually fill Serge's skates quite well, but Danny Galivan coined the Serge "spinerama" move that many have tried to emulate but only Orr was able to duplicate with any great success.

You are dating yourself, because many people wrongly believe that the "Savardian Spinorama" was named for Denis Savard, who was also a master of the move, and often used it quite effectively on the offensive rush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bZBMNOeNF0

"And underneath the bridge there lived a terrible, ugly, one-eyed troll."

PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 7:33 am 
From Away

Best game ever, hands down the 1972 Canada vs Russia game 8! =D>

Forever will I remember sitting on the floor in my classroom with the desks all pushed aside, making room for as many kids as possilbe to fit in the room so we could all watch this game. It was awesome!

Ask someone where they were when they watched the exciting 8th game between Canada and Russis in 1972, most remember clearly with enthusiasm.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 7:53 am 

I don't know how you could ever question this is the best game ever played [-X , but their should never be any doubt the '72 series was the best series ever played. =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 3:05 pm 

Amen-- as far as the way the US and some others look at it I can understand, especially with the political tenor of the times, the sentiment for the 80 US-USSR game but without a doubt in my mind the 72 game tops it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 3:29 pm 
True Islander

I got a chance to meet and talk to Paul Henderson several years ago in Moncton. I asked him 2 questions, in this order...

1) What impact would Orr have had on the 1972 Summit series, had he been able to play?

2) Who was, in his opinion, the greatest hockey player he ever saw?

By implication, I had hoped my first question would lead his answer to the second...but it did not work.

He said Orr would have made a huge difference. In the locker room and on the ice. But, Gretzky was the best ever, in his opinion.

I think the second-greatest game ever would be the 1975 New Years Eve game between Red Army and Montreal. The only time in my life I ever cheered for the Habs.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2012, 9:13 am 
True Islander

I watched the final game again last night on TSN and I don't want to take anything away from Paul Henderson, but Phil Esposito's great hockey and leadership really got lost in all the other game winning goal celebrations.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 27th, 2012, 9:28 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

FoxRun wrote:
Phil Esposito's great hockey and leadership really got lost in all the other game winning goal celebrations.

I'm assuming you mean now rather than back then.

I agree that the media today plays up Henderson's contributions more, but back then Esposito was getting all the credit he richly deserved.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 27th, 2012, 10:16 am 
True Islander

And Phil saved Dryden's bacon in game 8 when he slipped behind him and prevented an easy Russian goal. Actually, I think Phil's leadership skills overshadowed his on-ice contributions...and his leadership and on-ice contribution were both later overshadowed by Henderson's performance.

But when you consider 3 game winning goals by Henderson, it is understandable. Those hockey fan fools in Vancouver shamed Canada back then and Phil was quick to stand up to them. And with the rioting, Vancouver is still shaming Canadian hockey today.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2012, 10:55 am 
True Islander

Wayne Gretzky put it best.

"Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr were probably the two greatest players in the game, but for eight games Phil Esposito was so special," Gretzky said. "Without him emotionally and doing what he did on the ice, we would not have won that series."

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/04/af ... ces-russia

Profile E-mail