|Cable Head West - - -
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||Ex-racer [ November 6th, 2010, 1:40 pm ]|
|Post subject:||Cable Head West - - -|
on the North Shore of PEI in the late '40s.
Some of the things I remember:-
- Wondering who carved the initials, pictures, and 'graffiti' into the old double desks, and what year it was done.
- Taking my turn carrying water from the nearest neighbor to fill the drinking fountain each day.
- Going to school an hour early to light the fire in the coal stove. Got paid $75 per winter, and supplied my own kindling.
- Bicycle races around the school at recess. We'd remove the seat and 'fabricate' one out of feed bags on the frame/rear fender to lower the center-of-gravity, and turn the handlebars upside down like a racing bike.
- Taking a 'break' from the routine boredom by going to the 'outhouse' even if I didn't need to. You could sit and listen to the birds singing and other sounds of the community, or read something 'interesting' from the supply of 'reading material'. 8 or 10 minutes was about the max before they might think there was something wrong and come looking for you.
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC - 4 hours|
|Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group