PEIinfo Logo
  Top Banner

Listings Coming Soon
 
Home
* FAQ
* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 9:42 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: March 17th, 2005, 4:08 pm
Posts: 2062
Location: Charlottetown
Rob MacD wrote:
Pogo wrote:
She probably had no way of knowing the profound effect her little ideas had on shaping her students.


I guess she didn't teach you English, because it's "affect" not "effect".

Rob (stoops to a new low)


:lol: No it's not. :lol: Effect is correct.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 10:37 am 
Offline
Site Admin (volunteer)
User avatar

Joined: November 1st, 2003, 7:55 am
Posts: 16903
Location: Brackley Beach PE / Lake Wales FL
Tracy wrote:
Rob MacD wrote:
Pogo wrote:
She probably had no way of knowing the profound effect her little ideas had on shaping her students.


I guess she didn't teach you English, because it's "affect" not "effect".

Rob (stoops to a new low)


:lol: No it's not. :lol: Effect is correct.


According to AskOxford, Rob is more correct.

What is the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'?

To affect something is to change or influence it, To effect something is a rather formal way of saying `to make it happen'.

The stability of the wall was affected by passing lorries.
The demolition of the wall was effected by the detonation of a charge of dynamite.

The dynamite did not just 'affect' (influence) the demolition of the wall: it caused it.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 10:38 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: March 17th, 2005, 4:08 pm
Posts: 2062
Location: Charlottetown
Effect is the correct noun in that sentence.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 10:56 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: March 17th, 2005, 4:08 pm
Posts: 2062
Location: Charlottetown
Kreskin wrote:
Tracy wrote:
Rob MacD wrote:
Pogo wrote:
She probably had no way of knowing the profound effect her little ideas had on shaping her students.


I guess she didn't teach you English, because it's "affect" not "effect".

Rob (stoops to a new low)


:lol: No it's not. :lol: Effect is correct.


According to AskOxford, Rob is more correct.

What is the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'?

To affect something is to change or influence it, To effect something is a rather formal way of saying `to make it happen'.

The stability of the wall was affected by passing lorries.
The demolition of the wall was effected by the detonation of a charge of dynamite.

The dynamite did not just 'affect' (influence) the demolition of the wall: it caused it.


Yes, those sentences are correct. However, they don't mirror the structure of the sentence in question.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 11:41 am 
Offline
Site Admin (volunteer)
User avatar

Joined: November 1st, 2003, 7:55 am
Posts: 16903
Location: Brackley Beach PE / Lake Wales FL
Tracy wrote:
Kreskin wrote:
Tracy wrote:
Rob MacD wrote:
Pogo wrote:
She probably had no way of knowing the profound effect her little ideas had on shaping her students.


I guess she didn't teach you English, because it's "affect" not "effect".

Rob (stoops to a new low)


:lol: No it's not. :lol: Effect is correct.


According to AskOxford, Rob is more correct.

What is the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'?

To affect something is to change or influence it, To effect something is a rather formal way of saying `to make it happen'.

The stability of the wall was affected by passing lorries.
The demolition of the wall was effected by the detonation of a charge of dynamite.

The dynamite did not just 'affect' (influence) the demolition of the wall: it caused it.


Yes, those sentences are correct. However, they don't mirror the structure of the sentence in question.


I would have thought that in "She probably had no way of knowing the profound effect her little ideas had on shaping her students.", you could easily substitute the word "influence" for "effect" ... "She probably had no way of knowing the profound influence her little ideas had on shaping her students."

The teacher "influenced" the shaping of her students, more than "made it happen".

If we are talking sentence structure, then ...

She effected a shaping of her students ... is correct.
She had a profound affect on shaping her students ... is correct.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 11:49 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: March 17th, 2005, 4:08 pm
Posts: 2062
Location: Charlottetown
You are incorrect, sir. Affect correctly used as a noun outside of psych literature is fairly rare.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 11:56 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: March 17th, 2005, 4:08 pm
Posts: 2062
Location: Charlottetown
Quote:
The verb affect most commonly means "to have an influence on or effect a change in". <b>But there's no standard nominal form of affect with a corresponding meaning. </b>Instead, affect as a noun means "feeling or emotion, especially as manifested by facial expression or body language", corresponding to the verbal sense "to act on the emotions of; touch or move".
emphasis mine

from here:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/language ... 01716.html

I see where you're coming from, Kreskin, but I'll assume that Pogo was inferring "influence" from his/her effective use of the noun, effect.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 1:15 pm 
Offline
True Islander
User avatar

Joined: November 6th, 2003, 10:32 am
Posts: 3237
By gum, you're right. I didn't consider it as a noun.

Not so high and mighty are you now, eh, Rob?

Rob (still satisfied that he won the PEI Info Trivia for the month)

_________________
The Annekenstein Monster
Sketch 22


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 1:23 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: March 17th, 2005, 4:08 pm
Posts: 2062
Location: Charlottetown
Rob MacD wrote:

Rob (still satisfied that he won the PEI Info Trivia for the month)
Hang on to that for as long as you can, baby.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 1:24 pm 
Offline
True Islander
User avatar

Joined: November 29th, 2003, 1:52 pm
Posts: 11486
Location: Somewhere, PEI
Ack! I'm having high school English flashbacks........ considering I had to go back for half a year to get my grade 12 English.. *LOL*

must resist... urge to skip... Mrs. Dunphy's English class.... *LOL*

_________________
Image
Resident Colbertite
Official Daily Show Stoner


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 2:24 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: March 17th, 2005, 4:08 pm
Posts: 2062
Location: Charlottetown
To get back on topic... :lol:

My favourite teacher at MRHS was Evelyn MacLure, my Grade 11 English teacher.

I found her to be very witty and extremely intelligent. Apparently, from what I could gather, she was a teacher you either loved or hated...no inbetweeners.

She gave great assignments, and her daily spelling/definition tests were something I always strived to ace.

Although from Grade nine and up we had Shakespeare on our reading list, it wasn't until Ms. MacLure's class that I really began to enjoy it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 6:33 pm 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: April 26th, 2006, 10:05 pm
Posts: 858
Location: another site
Rob MacD wrote:
Pogo wrote:
She probably had no way of knowing the profound effect her little ideas had on shaping her students.


I guess she didn't teach you English, because it's "affect" not "effect".

Rob (stoops to a new low)


Thanks for calling me on that. My Tenth Grade teacher, Lynwood Jay, "hammered that one into my skull". From what I think I remember, Rob, you are correct.

Y'know, I actually flipped a mental coin on that one. What made me chuckle is that I consider myself the "language Nazi", but in all my life I had trouble with "affect" and "effect" and the spelling of "personnel" (No, I didn't check... and I NEVER use spell checkers). In most instances I use synonyms, but this time I stuck my neck out.

I'd love a thread on fixin' language, but I can take it too seriously. I'd be well advised to stay away from such a thread.

_________________
So long and thanks for all the fish.

- The Dolphins from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Douglas Adams


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 6:58 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: March 17th, 2005, 4:08 pm
Posts: 2062
Location: Charlottetown
Pogo wrote:
From what I think I remember, Rob, you are correct.


No, he's not. You were correct in your original post, Pogo. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 7:10 pm 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: April 26th, 2006, 10:05 pm
Posts: 858
Location: another site
Tracy wrote:
Pogo wrote:
From what I think I remember, Rob, you are correct.


No, he's not. You were correct in your original post, Pogo. :)


LOL. My brain hurts!

I may be on track now: "effect" is the result (effectively), "affect" is the verb.

Me know! Answer is beer. Brain kills beer cells. I'll crack one and begin quitting thinking.

Thanx :)

_________________
So long and thanks for all the fish.

- The Dolphins from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Douglas Adams


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2006, 7:28 am 
Offline
True Islander
User avatar

Joined: November 6th, 2003, 10:32 am
Posts: 3237
Tracy wrote:
Pogo wrote:
From what I think I remember, Rob, you are correct.


No, he's not. You were correct in your original post, Pogo. :)


Hey you guys... Look over there!!!!

Rob (points out a window in an attempt to divert attention away from his mistake)

_________________
The Annekenstein Monster
Sketch 22


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2006, 8:06 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: March 17th, 2005, 4:08 pm
Posts: 2062
Location: Charlottetown
c'mon Rob :) We wuz just funnin'


at your expense, but what better expense is there?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2006, 11:40 am 
Offline
True Islander
User avatar

Joined: April 9th, 2004, 7:10 pm
Posts: 5863
Location: charlottetown
my favorite teacher ( or one of them) was mr cousins.....i remember many things that he said in class.....tho i dont remember the school work as much itself ( except for one story i wrote that um......kinda freaked him out and he met with me after class ).....

i remember him saying he would rather his kids be fighting, then sitting in front of the tv, not being able to communicate.....at least with the fighting , they were not zoned out in front of the tv......( this came back to me many times when my kids were growing up......fighting ) ;).....

I remember him making me feel like i mattered.

I remember him talking about his wife going and buying a new car, without asking him what he thought first.....and he was kinda bothered...but later on they found out that she had picked out the best car for that year.

I remember little things.....but they actually meant something later on for me in life....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2006, 1:55 pm 
Offline
True Islander
User avatar

Joined: November 29th, 2003, 1:52 pm
Posts: 11486
Location: Somewhere, PEI
Shelley, that's a good teacher..... when their little lessons come back to you later on in life... and you're able to use them...

_________________
Image
Resident Colbertite
Official Daily Show Stoner


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: favourite teacher
PostPosted: October 15th, 2006, 1:38 am 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: February 27th, 2006, 1:08 am
Posts: 537
Many years ago in New Glasgow NS i had a grade 5 teacher , SisterMartha Sark. She was a tough old teacher but everyone liked her. She told us she was from Lennox island PEI but back then it didn't mean anything to us. Many years later I moved to PEI and my mother told me that she had heard that Sister Sark was about to celebrate her 50th anniversary as a nun, so I sent her a card and told her about my life since she had last seen me. She died about a month after that and I never knew if she had got my card.Last saturday I got a call from Sister Rebecca Sark , Her sister, She told me that Martha told her to get in touch with me but she had written my phone number down wrong, so she called 411 and finally found me. We talked for a while and she told me thatr Martha would probably be mad at her for takimg so long to get in touch with me.Sister Martha Sark Died in the early 90's. It took her sister nearly 16 years to contact me and it was one of the most special calls I ever had. I intend to meet Sister Rebecca as soon as I can.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: favourite teacher
PostPosted: October 15th, 2006, 10:29 am 
Offline
True Islander
User avatar

Joined: April 9th, 2004, 7:10 pm
Posts: 5863
Location: charlottetown
imdamama wrote:
Many years ago in New Glasgow NS i had a grade 5 teacher , SisterMartha Sark. She was a tough old teacher but everyone liked her. She told us she was from Lennox island PEI but back then it didn't mean anything to us. Many years later I moved to PEI and my mother told me that she had heard that Sister Sark was about to celebrate her 50th anniversary as a nun, so I sent her a card and told her about my life since she had last seen me. She died about a month after that and I never knew if she had got my card.Last saturday I got a call from Sister Rebecca Sark , Her sister, She told me that Martha told her to get in touch with me but she had written my phone number down wrong, so she called 411 and finally found me. We talked for a while and she told me thatr Martha would probably be mad at her for takimg so long to get in touch with me.Sister Martha Sark Died in the early 90's. It took her sister nearly 16 years to contact me and it was one of the most special calls I ever had. I intend to meet Sister Rebecca as soon as I can.



That is just so awesome !!!..... :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group