Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper WING NIGHT!!! at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $0.35 [Remind Me]

Supper Endless Baby Back Ribs at Hunter's Ale House for $22.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Beef Pot Pie or Veggie Pot Pie at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.10 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New Islanders
PostPosted: January 7th, 2014, 3:45 pm 

Grant Sonier is really putting his own touch to how this team looks for now and for the next few years. I just hope he knows what he's doing!

Quote:
Islanders finish remake at QMJHL trade dealine

The Charlottetown Islanders finished remaking itself as the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League trade deadline came and went on Tuesday.

The big fish was 20-year-old captain Jack Nevins, who went to Rouyn-Noranda with a fourth round pick in 2014, for forward Julien Avon, 17, and a first round pick (from Blainville-Bosbriand), third round pick and fifth round pick all in 2014.

Nevins, a Stittsville, Ont., native, was a free agent signing last year and recently signed a deal with the Montreal Canadians.

Next to go was 17-year-old forward Alexis Pépin.

Islanders general manager Grant Sonier sent the former second overall pick in 2012 to Gatineau for first round picks in 2014 and 2015, and Ontario junior A forward Curtis Scale.

D-man Ryan Graves, 18 and a former P.E.I. Rocket first round pick in 2011, is now in Val-d'Or along with a third round pick (from Blainville). In return, the Isles received defencemen David Henley, 16, and Vladislav Lysenko, 18, a Kiev, Ukraine native.

Lysenko gives the Islanders one European player after the team traded Czech Republic native Matej Beran to Sherbrooke and cut ties with German import Marco Sedlar.

Charlottetown also picked up forward Robert Pelletier from Acadie-Bathurst for a ninth round pick this year.

Tuesday's deals gave Charlottetown 12 trades since the trade period began Dec. 22, and brought in 11 new players, most of which are 18 or under.

Full list of trades at www.theqmjhl.ca.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New Islanders
PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 6:26 am 

I like the deals and the direction the team is taking. They've never had a true rebuild which is something that I thought has kept this team from contending and being a top tier team all these years. Time will tell if all these moves will pan out and we get to be that top tier team but at least, for the first time, we have a plan to get there and there is a rhyme and reason when trades or transactions are being made.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 10:24 am 

wingman wrote:
I like the deals and the direction the team is taking. They've never had a true rebuild which is something that I thought has kept this team from contending and being a top tier team all these years. Time will tell if all these moves will pan out and we get to be that top tier team but at least, for the first time, we have a plan to get there and there is a rhyme and reason when trades or transactions are being made.

I guess you could call it a "true rebuild" as opposed to what we've seen from Savard during his tenure. I was impressed with the complexity of all the trades and the draft choice manipulations. One would think that there was a lot of thought and effort put into all those transactions....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 3:44 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

I'm quite excited about all of the trades. Savard talked about rebuilding for years.....glad to see that it's finally happening!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 10:23 pm 
True Islander

It's not often you hear of sports fan excited to be rebuilding! :lol:

Didn't the team start off very hot this year? What happened? And is it a real rebuild, or more of a fire sale? I don't follow hockey at all so I have no idea but it seems like maybe the team is being let off the hook a little bit because they have local owners now.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 11:02 pm 

Gardiner wrote:
wingman wrote:

I guess you could call it a "true rebuild" as opposed to what we've seen from Savard during his tenure. I was impressed with the complexity of all the trades and the draft choice manipulations. One would think that there was a lot of thought and effort put into all those transactions....

I would say there was alot of thought and planning that went into the trades, I don't think there were too many that were made that was off the cuff so-to-speak.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2014, 1:27 pm 

wingman wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
wingman wrote:

I would say there was alot of thought and planning that went into the trades, I don't think there were too many that were made that was off the cuff so-to-speak.

I hope they put out a better effort tonight, I know we have to be patient to allow the rebuild to mature, but we(the fans) still need to be entertained.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 10th, 2014, 4:59 pm 

Gardiner wrote:
I hope they put out a better effort tonight, I know we have to be patient to allow the rebuild to mature, but we(the fans) still need to be entertained.

I didn't think the effort was that bad, I thought it was more to being out of sync and not being used to each other on the ice. They hadn't a chance to practice and only had the morning skate and until that point they probably didn't even know who they were going to be playing with. There are going to be games that aren't going to be pretty to watch and they are going to be taking their share of lumps along the way. Part of the process of rebuilding, it will take time but they will get there.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2014, 8:51 am 

I'm starting to believe that we traded away too much of our talent to at least ice a competitive team for the remainder of the year. Pepin was our #2 overall pick in 2012 and will put up some great numbers for the next few years so I don't know why we wouldn't keep him.

Gatineau Charlottetown Scale, Curtis (1997-09-23)
Rd_1, 2014
Rd_1, 2015

Charlottetown Gatineau Pépin, Alexis (1996-04-24)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 28th, 2014, 7:23 pm 
Almost an Islander

Eastlink is showing their game on channel 10 on Sept. 12

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 4th, 2014, 9:05 am 

Fun fact:

Since Grant Sonier became GM of the Charlottetown Islanders, there is not one player left from the Savard regime.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 10th, 2014, 9:35 am 
Almost an Islander

tonight's game against Halifax is on Eastlink again tonight.

Profile E-mail