Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Opening Night
PostPosted: September 12th, 2013, 9:38 pm 

Hockey is back in Charlottetown! Come out & support your Island team as they open up their season VS the defending President's Cup AND Memorial Cup champion, Halifax Mooseheads

Gametime is 7pm.

Eastlink will be broadcasting the game, so be sure to come out and show the Maritimes that Charlottetown loves it's hockey.

GET THERE EARLY!!! Festivities start at 5:30 & the first 2500 fans will receive a foam finger!!!

BE CREATIVE!!! Eastlink will also be having their "Create-A-Sign" booth. A prize will be given to the best sign that night!

There will be lots of pre-game activities for the WHOLE FAMILY including:

TAILGATE PARTY!!!! We will be having a tailgate party in the trade centre, from 5:30-6:30 which will include a BBQ with food & drink for everyone!!!

THAT FUN PLACE!!! They are bringing their bouncy equipment and toys! Make sure the kids don't use ALL their energy, we need them to cheer on our team during the game! There will also be face-painting for the kids. Why not show your Island spirit with some Islanders colours?!

FOR THE ADULTS!! Olde Dublin Pub will be providing happy hour prices & catering in the lounge upstairs before the game. They will also be providing post game entertainment as well. Joey Kitson & Marvin Birt will be playing music there during each intermission. They will also be playing for an hour after the game ends (for those of you who still wish to stick around & enjoy some tunes!)

DRAWS FOR PRIZES: There will be a ballot box for three great prizes that you won't want to miss out on! Prizes are: An Islanders hat, an Islanders golf shirt and a TEAM AUTOGRAPHED STICK!!!

OCEAN 100!!! Ocean will be broadcasting live on location from 2-7. Don't miss out!

SEASON TICKET HIOLDERS: There will be a special area to pick up your season tickets. No need to wait in line!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Opening Night
PostPosted: September 13th, 2013, 3:56 pm 

It should be a great opening night....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 14th, 2013, 9:19 am 

It was a great opening night and I haven't seen this many people at the Eastlink Centre since the Senators were here....

Attendance: 3311

A three-goal explosion in the final minutes of Friday’s game led the Charlottetown Islanders to a dramatic 5-2 victory over the defending Memorial Cup champion Halifax Mooseheads in front of a ramped up hometown fan base.

The long anticipated home opener for the new QMJHL team didn’t disappoint a near sellout crowd, as the Islanders battled the Mooseheads in a nail-biting match-up.

It was the newly acquired Kameron Kielly that took advantage of a power play to score a one-timer on Halifax netminder Kevin Darveau with only a little over five minutes left in the game.

The goal broke a 2-2 tie and secured the Islanders win in front of a boisterous crowd.

“That was picture perfect for me,” said Kielly, who was in the slot when he received the pass from first-year player Daniel Sprong. “For the boys to put in two more after that… it was just a big win for the guys.”

Kielly’s goal seemed to re-ignite the Islanders offence, with Alexandre Goulet scoring twice afterwards at 16:27 and 17:47.

While the team had battled all game, Kielly said it was important to make a good first impression on fans with the win.

“We had the support tonight to get the first win at home,” said the Charlottetown native. “It’s pretty exciting and good for our team.”

Charlottetown’s other goals were scored by Matej Beran and Jack Nevins. Alexis Pepin, Kevin Laliberte and Sprong each had two assists, while singles went to Jack Nevins, Beran and Kielly.

Halifax left-winger Danny Moynihan opened up Friday’s scoring at 17:05 in the first.

Both teams grinded through the second period.

While it seemed Halifax would enter the final period with a lead, third year Charlottetown forward Matej Beran put one past Mooseheads goalie Kevin Darveau at 19:49.

Nevins built on that momentum early in the third, giving the Islanders their first lead of the game at 2:50.

However, the hope of hanging on for a win was lost when Halifax’s Andrew Ryan caught a rebound to tie it up at 9:16.

While both teams continued to battle, neither could capitalize until Kielly’s goal.
It was Charlottetown netminder Daryl MacCallum who stepped up for much of the game to prevent Halifax from sealing the deal by stopping 26 of the Mooseheads 28 shots.

The netminder was backing up starter Antoine Bibeau, who was one of several players from both teams attending NHL training camps.

That didn’t take any of the win away from MacCallum, who commented on defeating the Memorial Cup champions.

“Beating them in the first game, it’s an amazing feeling,” he said. “We’re a younger team but we came together and got the win.”

The netminder's performance also earned the praise of his teammates.

“He held us out. He’s a great goalie and he got the opportunity to be here and is taking full advantage of it,” said Kielly.

The game saw Charlottetown out shoot Halifax 45-28.

The team will be back in action against the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles at the Charlottetown Civic Centre Saturday. Game time is 7 p.m.

Tickets will be on sale at the Eastlink Centre Boxoffice starting at 11:00 am, by phone at 629-6625 or online at www.civiccentre.pe.ca.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 14th, 2013, 9:57 am 

I guess not everyone enjoyed the game.....

foggy
September 14, 2013 - 04:26
Nice to see maj jrback in the capital,however, its too bad the higher brass couldnt get their heads out of. Theclouds to see that the bottom4-5 rows couldnt see the game due to condensation. No one eve tried to wipe the glass off between periods. We left after the second perriod as we could see the jumbo trons better so decided to watch the rest of the gamme home.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 14th, 2013, 9:15 pm 
Tourist

Gardiner wrote:
I guess not everyone enjoyed the game.....

foggy
September 14, 2013 - 04:26
Nice to see maj jrback in the capital,however, its too bad the higher brass couldnt get their heads out of. Theclouds to see that the bottom4-5 rows couldnt see the game due to condensation. No one eve tried to wipe the glass off between periods. We left after the second perriod as we could see the jumbo trons better so decided to watch the rest of the gamme home.

Great game on Friday, well done by the new owners and management. I have been going to the games since the Rocket arrived and that first year the atmosphere was electric, huge crowds.....it was like that last night, a great night, loved the tailgate BBQ, lots of owners around and so approachable, so appreciative of the support. Lots for kids to do before the game, the canteen ran well, Islander store looks great.

There was fog....and I didn't notice anyone wiping it off, however in past years they did that and it made NO difference, I am not far up in the stands, and if I missed something I looked at jumbo tron.

It was also good to see Gilles Corteau in the house, and acknowledging the Savards. While I didn't notice any of them in the rink, it was good they were talked about and that the fans cheered them, as much as we disliked a lot of what they did, without them, we may never have had a team, we can't say whatif....we can only say...thank you to them.

I am so optimistic about this organization now, was a totally different feeling last night at the rink, fog was a bit of an issue, however it is Sept, over 3000 in attendance, rainy night....it's all good.

Get out and support the team....Island business men and women stepped up and took over this team for us fans...we owe them that at least. I think I have learned more about the team since Sonier came on board then we EVER heard from Serge for 10 years....it's nice!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 15th, 2013, 9:06 am 

macwood wrote:
Great game on Friday, well done by the new owners and management. I have been going to the games since the Rocket arrived and that first year the atmosphere was electric, huge crowds.....it was like that last night, a great night, loved the tailgate BBQ, lots of owners around and so approachable, so appreciative of the support. Lots for kids to do before the game, the canteen ran well, Islander store looks great.

There was fog....and I didn't notice anyone wiping it off, however in past years they did that and it made NO difference, I am not far up in the stands, and if I missed something I looked at jumbo tron.

It was also good to see Gilles Corteau in the house, and acknowledging the Savards. While I didn't notice any of them in the rink, it was good they were talked about and that the fans cheered them, as much as we disliked a lot of what they did, without them, we may never have had a team, we can't say whatif....we can only say...thank you to them.

I am so optimistic about this organization now, was a totally different feeling last night at the rink, fog was a bit of an issue, however it is Sept, over 3000 in attendance, rainy night....it's all good.

Get out and support the team....Island business men and women stepped up and took over this team for us fans...we owe them that at least. I think I have learned more about the team since Sonier came on board then we EVER heard from Serge for 10 years....it's nice!

It was a great atmosphere and if they can keep the fan base interested and with the addition of the Basketball team, it begs to question if there will be a new area in the near future plan.

Profile E-mail