Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Islanders' Draft Picks
PostPosted: June 11th, 2013, 6:25 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Quote:
The Charlottetown Islanders first-ever draft pick fell in love with hockey while growing up in Amsterdam.

“I loved being on the ice when I was small. I never wanted to get off,” Daniel Sprong told The Guardian on Saturday. “My dad used to play, so I wanted to follow in my dad’s footsteps.”

Hannie Sprong played on and coached the Dutch national team and was a general manager of a hockey team.

The younger Sprong played with players nearly twice his age when he was five years old and played in tournaments in Montreal and Finland.

The family took a trainer’s suggestion to come to Canada and let Sprong play summer hockey when he was seven years old.

“We just decided to stay here because we fell in love with Canada,” he said.

The five-foot-10, 162-pound forward filled the net last season in the midget espoir league in Quebec, scoring 48 goals and recording 104 points in 30 games with Lac Saint-Louis Tigres.

The Islanders were thrilled to see him on the board when they selected 13th overall in the first round of Saturday’s Quebec Major Junior Hockey League draft. Some people have suggested he could be one of the steals of the draft.

“He’s a helluva player,” general manager Grant Sonier said. “I can’t tell you how excited the organization is to get a player of his calibre at that point in the draft.”

The league’s central scouting had him ranked as the sixth-best prospect.

“I set up plays. I can score goals. I have speed. I have vision,” Sprong said. “I am an offensive-minded player.”

He compares his game to Chicago Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane because of his dekes and vision and Boston Bruins forward Tyler Seguin for his speed and shot.

Sprong called his vision and shot his best attributes. He wants to make the Islanders this season, become a dominant force and help the team win.

“Charlottetown was one of my choices where I’d like to play,” he said. “I’m happy they selected me.”

Sprong had a conversation with Islanders’ head coach Gordie Dwyer following a prospects game earlier this year.

“He had very high hopes for me,” said Sprong. “I think that’s very important to have a coach that believes in you and wants to work with you.”

He knows last year’s first-round pick Alexis Pépin and prospect Beau Rusk and said that should make the transition smoother.

The draft haul netted the Islanders seven forwards, four defencemen and two goalies.

The Islanders moved back into the first round by trading winger Louick Marcotte and a seventh-round pick to Val-d’Or for the last pick (18th overall) of the first round.

“I wasn’t expecting this,” the 19-year-old Marcotte said. “I had a lot of fun the last three years there. Everybody is incredible in P.E.I. and the organization was A-plus.”

He is looking forward to the new challenge, which will be made easier by knowing Foreurs’ sniper Anthony Mantha.

“He’s one of my good friends, I played with him all my minor hockey,” Marcotte said. “He’s from my hometown. I know him pretty well and he’s going to help me” with the transition.

With the pick the Islanders chose five-foot-11, 170-pound centre Alexandre Goulet.

“What was very visible when he walked up on stage is how developed he is. (Head scout) Gilles (Tremblay) and our scouting staff were adamant he’s ready to play,” Sonier said. “We’re getting somebody we highly believe in.”

Goulet scored 29 goals and had 30 assists in 42 games last season with Levis, east of Quebec City. He also fills a need at centre.

“In the first round we have added a dynamic offensive skilled forward and we’ve added a really solid two-way type player,” Sonier said.

Getting to know Charlottetown Islanders’ top pick Daniel Sprong:

Age – 16

Hometown – Born and lived in Amsterdam until he was seven.

Position – Forward.

Size – Five-foot-10, 162 pounds

Favourite movie – Fast and Furious. “I like action movies and comedy movies.”

Favourite meal – Chinese or a nice fish with sweet potatoes and broccoli.

Favourite subject – Physical education and history.

Quote – “What they can expect is a player who’s going to be working hard, do whatever it takes to win.”

The following are the Charlottetown Islanders’ picks in the 2013 Quebec Major Junior Hockey League draft:

First round

13 – F Daniel Sprong, Lac Saint-Louis Tigres (Quebec)

18 – F Alexandre Goulet, Levis Commandeurs (Quebec)

Third round

54 – F Bradley Kennedy, Cape Breton West (N.S.)

Fourth round

69 – D Duncan McKie, Valley Wildcats (N.S.)

Fifth round

86 – G Logan Cooke, Cape Breton Tradesmen (N.S.)

Eighth round

133 – F Layton Parsons, Halifax Titans (N.S.)

Ninth round

147 – D Alex Anthony, Dartmouth Taylor Flooring (N.S.)

158 – G Jean-Philippe Du Paul, Levis (Quebec)

10th round

176 – D Ben DiMaio, Boston Advantage (U.S.)

11th round

194 – F Jordan Bezanson, Halifax Titans (N.S.)

12th round

212 – F Josh Shatford, Bridgewater junior A (N.S.)

13th round

230 – F Trevor Fidler, Dexter (U.S.)

14th round

248 – D Brett Doiron, Rothesay Netherwood (N.B.)

Islanders

P.E.I. natives selected:

Fourth round

59 – D Alexander McQuaid, Cornwall Thunder, Saint John Sea Dogs

Seventh round

113 – D Bailey Webster, Cornwall Thunder, Saint John Sea Dogs

14th round

248 – D Brett Doiron, Rothesay Netherwood (N.B.), Charlottetown Islanders.

Deals

Charlottetown traded Louick Marcotte and a seventh round pick to Val-d’Or for first-round pick.

Charlottetown traded Maxime Lagace and an eighth-round pick to Cape Breton for Zach Beaton, Sebastien Lemieux and a ninth-round pick.

All of the picks were in the 2013 draft.

The Charlottetown Islanders added a pair of Nova Scotia Major Midget Hockey League (NSMMHL) players with their third- and fourth-round picks.

Cape Breton West Islanders forward Bradley Kennedy was selected in the third round. He had 34 goals and 70 points in 35 games last season and was a first-team all-star.

“Kennedy is a big kid who has really, really good puck skills and talent,” Sonier said. “He’s a Maritime kid, we have really good character references on him. Our guys really like the way he plays.”

The Islanders took Valley Wildcats defenceman Duncan McKie in the fourth round.

His coach, former Halifax Mooseheads’ player Nick Greenough, called the six-foot, 191-pound blue-liner the hardest hitter in the NSMMHL last year.

“The McKie kid is a really big, gritty defenceman and we want that in our lineup,” Sonier said. “We want to make sure that we have some truculence to us moving forward.”

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Sports/201 ... irepower/1

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Islanders' Draft Picks
PostPosted: June 29th, 2013, 11:02 am 

Sprong sounds like an interesting pick where it sounds like he has alot of talent, hopefully he pans out and plays to his potential.