* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New Ownership = New Team
PostPosted: April 29th, 2013, 9:41 pm 
True Islander

With this new ownership group, I am rather excited for the new team. What changes would you make to the team?

Post subject: Re: New Ownership = New Team
PostPosted: April 30th, 2013, 7:55 am 
True Islander

New rink, fewer explosions and smoke, more goals and wins and more Islanders on the team. In other words, less style and more substance. Then I will show up more often.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2013, 9:25 am 

Mulligan wrote:
New rink, fewer explosions and smoke, more goals and wins and more Islanders on the team. In other words, less style and more substance. Then I will show up more often.

Wow, such a fickle fan you are......you need to fill the old rink before you can get a new one, you need excitement when the home team scores, more Islanders will not always get more goals and wins, sounds like you're looking for figure skating.......lol

oh and my wish is for a competitive team and an exciting atmosphere!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 30th, 2013, 10:22 am 
True Islander

Mulligan wrote:
more Islanders on the team

Me, I want more players from my street on the team. Then I'll go to the games.

I don't care where the players are from. I want the best competitive players the team can afford.
Bring them in and do a good job of making them a part of the community - it won't matter where they're from.

I'd change the name of the team - don't go with PEI Rocket, or the new PEI Islanders moniker. Change it to the Charlottetown Whatevers... it needs to be a city team, not a provincial team.

Charlottetown Islanders would be okay.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2013, 4:01 pm 

Everything Rob said above would work to get me in attendance more often.

My only issue is the name change. We already have a Charlottetown Islanders team in the NB/PEI Major Midget league, that plays out of the CARI Complex. Yes it is a good name but I'm not sure if a QMJHL team could bump the name from another team. Yes it is 2 different leagues, but we must be able to come up with something unique!

PostPosted: April 30th, 2013, 5:55 pm 

First change I would make is distance the organization as far away from Savard and his methods as possible and I would start that by bringing in a new team name, logos and colors that have no ties with the old ownership.

Another change I would make is clean house in the hockey side of things...scouting, assistant coaches, etc and bring an experienced person to run that aspect of the organization as president, gm, hockey operations or whatever. The only person I would suggest hanging onto would be Dwyer but in the end would leave that decision to the new guy in charge.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2013, 9:05 pm 

I would like the name changed to the Charlottetown Islanders not the PEI Islanders or PEI Rocket. I understand that all the new owners are from Charlottetown. It's the residents of Charlottetown who are subsidizing the team with a $35K annual payment as well as favourable leasnig arrangements for the Civic Centre. I notice that the basketball team in Summerside is not called the PEI Storm but rather the Summerside Storm.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2013, 7:45 am 

Reggie The Shark wrote:
I would like the name changed to the Charlottetown Islanders not the PEI Islanders or PEI Rocket. I understand that all the new owners are from Charlottetown. It's the residents of Charlottetown who are subsidizing the team with a $35K annual payment as well as favourable leasnig arrangements for the Civic Centre. I notice that the basketball team in Summerside is not called the PEI Storm but rather the Summerside Storm.

Good point and we all know the previous process to change the name was just another failed attempt by Savard to breed new life into a defunct situation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2013, 4:32 pm 
True Islander

Reggie The Shark wrote:
. It's the residents of Charlottetown who are subsidizing the team with a $35K annual payment as well as favourable leasnig arrangements for the Civic Centre.

that number has risen since.. is it not 50 k now?

Charlottetown was just saying they had no money to put a police officer at the grey, but they can find 50 k to subsidze a professional sports team? Like seriously!

Government has no place subsidizng prefessional sports. None.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2013, 10:18 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

linetwig wrote:
Charlottetown was just saying they had no money to put a police officer at the grey, but they can find 50 k to subsidze a professional sports team? Like seriously!

Government has no place subsidizng prefessional sports. None.

The Rocket/Islanders are not a professional sports team. They are classified as Major Junior, considered by many (most?) as the highest level of amateur hockey in Canada.

But on the subject of governments subsidizing professional teams, I think that you will find subsidization happening in almost every major pro sport by cities and states/provinces.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2013, 10:22 pm 
True Islander

I think you would also find studies that show the tax payer gets screwed every time a city decides to subsidize a sports team.
There is no economic benefit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 4th, 2013, 8:03 am 

Raiders wrote:
I think you would also find studies that show the tax payer gets screwed every time a city decides to subsidize a sports team.
There is no economic benefit.

And what would you call all the jobs generated, local money spent on food and entertainment and money spent by visiting teams and spectators?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 4th, 2013, 12:20 pm 
True Islander

Professional. amateur, call it what you like, its still a sports team operated for profit. They are privately owned, operated for profit, and Government of any level should not be, in any way, shape or form subsidizing these teams.

As i said, they cant find 50 grand to put a cop in the school( not that I agree with it, but the money would be better spent there then here) but they can find 150 k to subsidize this venture.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2013, 12:49 pm 

linetwig wrote:
Professional. amateur, call it what you like, its still a sports team operated for profit. They are privately owned, operated for profit, and Government of any level should not be, in any way, shape or form subsidizing these teams.

As i said, they cant find 50 grand to put a cop in the school( not that I agree with it, but the money would be better spent there then here) but they can find 150 k to subsidize this venture.

No different than any other subsidizing process to promote the City and stimulate the local economy. The "cop in the school" is a different issue altogether and any money for that would come from a different budget.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 4th, 2013, 3:42 pm 
True Islander

Gardiner wrote:
No different than any other subsidizing process to promote the City and stimulate the local economy. The "cop in the school" is a different issue altogether and any money for that would come from a different budget.

The bottom line is the city is subsidizing a money making venture for 10 businessmen. This is wrong.

The "cop in the school" is a different issue yes. The money for that comes out of the same budget, that of the city in general. That of the taxpayer. The priorities are wrong, as is this decision.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2013, 9:43 am 

linetwig wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

The bottom line is the city is subsidizing a money making venture for 10 businessmen. This is wrong.

The "cop in the school" is a different issue yes. The money for that comes out of the same budget, that of the city in general. That of the taxpayer. The priorities are wrong, as is this decision.

I think the bottom line is the City is paying money to keep a major tenant in their arena and to brand the City's name.......we're always complaining about how Summerside attracts all the big sports venues, well this was our chance to step up to the plate and kudos to City Council.

Quote:
Charlottetown city council says it ultimately approved more funding to keep the province's Quebec Major Junior Hockey League team in the city because the team is changing its name from the PEI Rocket to the Charlottetown Islanders.

“When you throw it all together, what council basically decided was that the value of having Charlottetown in the name of the team, was worth $75,000 a year for the next two years,” said Mayor Clifford Lee.

“At the end of the day we looked and said, 'What's the alternative'? And the alternative was to not have a Q team in the city of Charlottetown and that wasn't appealing to anyone. The benefit of having Charlottetown on the jerseys, to promote Charlottetown all throughout Atlantic Canada, throughout the province of Quebec, on national sports programs, was substantial in council's mind.”

According to the mayor, a week ago the 15 business people looking to buy the team asked council for $225,000 in each of the next five years to support the Charlottetown Islanders.

Council said no, but approved $75,000 per year for the next two years on top of the $42,000 it already approved in the budget.

Lee said the ownership group has accepted the city's offer. Without it, he said he thinks the plan to buy the team would've fallen through.

“It's called now the Charlottetown Islanders, which is a key thing, it’s a qualitative thing which is hard to put a price on and I think it's going to do Charlottetown the world of good from all aspects,” said Coun. Edward Rice.

The Rocket is one of the few teams in the league not in the black.

Lee said he expects in two years the Charlottetown Islanders will be turning a profit and that the city won't need to help fund them anymore.

None of the prospective owners have said anything publicly yet. The deal to buy the PEI Rocket isn't finalized.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 5th, 2013, 10:06 am 
True Islander

The bottom line is, the city is throwing tax payers dollars at a hockey club .

The Rocket have oneof the sweetest deals ever put together by the city.

They pay reduced ice rental for games
They pay little, if any rental for practice time
They pay little if any rental for proshop space.
They receive all money from concessions.
They also receive A huge subsidy.

When the Jr Abbies and Ch'town Islanders used the CC, they paid full rate for ALL ice time. No deals. They received NONE of the cencessions.

How much more money should city residents throw at them? It is a rediculous waste of tax dollars. These 10 businessmen are in this to make money, and I find no fault with that. But let them do it without City financing.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2013, 10:28 am 

linetwig wrote:
The bottom line is, the city is throwing tax payers dollars at a hockey club .

The Rocket have oneof the sweetest deals ever put together by the city.

They pay reduced ice rental for games
They pay little, if any rental for practice time
They pay little if any rental for proshop space.
They receive all money from concessions.
They also receive A huge subsidy.

When the Jr Abbies and Ch'town Islanders used the CC, they paid full rate for ALL ice time. No deals. They received NONE of the cencessions.

How much more money should city residents throw at them? It is a rediculous waste of tax dollars. These 10 businessmen are in this to make money, and I find no fault with that. But let them do it without City financing.

I cannot confirm or deny your particulars, but in any case the City had a decision to make to help keep a major tenant and a possible money maker in our Capital City and I think it was a good business decision. Without a major tenant in the Civic Center you'll zero dollars for rental anyway!

Quote:
Lee said he expects in two years the Charlottetown Islanders will be turning a profit and that the city won't need to help fund them anymore.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 1st, 2013, 10:16 pm 

A couple of days ago the Islanders named Grant Sonier the new GM, I like this hire and IMO it's a good one. Plus I think in the long run he will bring credibilty to the position and the team, hopefully this will bring in a new mindset and new direction in how things are done and handled in the front office

PostPosted: June 4th, 2013, 12:35 pm 

wingman wrote:
A couple of days ago the Islanders named Grant Sonier the new GM, I like this hire and IMO it's a good one. Plus I think in the long run he will bring credibilty to the position and the team, hopefully this will bring in a new mindset and new direction in how things are done and handled in the front office

Seriously? Why and how?

Never hold your farts in. They travel to your brain and that's where shitty ideas come from.