* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Sunday Brunch at Rodd Royalty for $16.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: What is it going to take?
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2012, 7:57 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

For the last several years, the top excuses I hear for not going to a game are:
- they aren't winning/competitive
- not enough "local content"
- the Civic Centre is a lousy venue

Well, here we are 17 games into the season and:
- the Rocket are second in their division
- the Rocket are 5th overall in the league
- the Rocket are 3rd overall in most goals scored
- Rocket goalie Antoine Bibeau has the third best goals against average
- the Rocket have two players in the top 4 league scoring, one of whom is a local boy who ranks second in points, second in goals, and leads the league in short handed goals and in dangerous shots.

So the first two excuses are no longer valid.

The announced attendance last night was 1421, but it seemed like fewer than that.

The Summerside Western Capitals, a Junior A team in a town a third the size of Charlottetown, has had crowds as large as 1700+ this season.

So maybe it is indeed the venue that is keeping fans away. I can't think of any other reason except maybe Charlottetown isn't quite the hockey town it thinks it is, which I hope isn't the case.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What is it going to take?
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2012, 8:05 am 

Ticket prices would be a factor too. More and more people are struggling financially these days. And yes, the civic centre is a lousy venue!...and I hope the city doesn't spend millions to replace it. We can't afford it.

Who's leading the league in non-dangerous shots? :lol:

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2012, 8:26 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

sawguy wrote:
Ticket prices would be a factor too. More and more people are struggling financially these days.

Quite possible. Perhaps more Charlottonians are struggling than Summersiders.

sawguy wrote:
Who's leading the league in non-dangerous shots? :lol:

:lol:
The league doesn't keep stats on that ... I guess no one is interested in tracking shots that have little chance of getting past the goalie :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2012, 9:08 am 

I usually get out to 1 or 2 games per season.

I couldn't say why I don't go more often. I enjoy the hockey, the cost of tickets isn't too bad when you compare with something like a night at the movies, and I don't mind the venue. I guess I just never make time to do it.

I don't have any ideas how to accomplish this, but to fill that place the there needs to be a big community following... If you've ever been in an NHL city during a playoff run you know the kind of energy I mean. If you live in Toronto, you might want to ask somebody from Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, or Montreal what it feels like.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2012, 9:31 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

frdalton wrote:
I don't have any ideas how to accomplish this, but to fill that place the there needs to be a big community following... If you've ever been in an NHL city during a playoff run you know the kind of energy I mean. If you live in Toronto, you might want to ask somebody from Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, or Montreal what it feels like.

Good point.

It might explain why the Western Caps can outdraw the Rocket on a given night. I had forgotten that Summerside is hosting the Royal Bank Cup this year (I believe that will make Summerside the only place to host it more than twice). Given that the Caps made it to the championship game the first time they hosted and became the first team east of the Ottawa River to win the national championship the second time they hosted, there is probably an energy in the air up there.

The lack of "energy" in Charlottetown may be that Rocket fans have been disappointed so many times in the past whenever the team has shown some promise, that likely some people figure the current Rocket success is just a bubble that will burst any time now. Maybe if the Rocket can get through the Christmas trade period without making one of their infamous lousy mid-season trades, people might be willing to take a chance on getting their hopes up.

It's like a bad marriage where one partner continually disappoints the other. Eventually the other partner just loses interest in the relationship and any attempts to mend the relationship by the slacking partner are seen with a jaundiced eye.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2012, 9:59 am 
Almost an Islander

i take issue to item number two not being a valid excuse.. one local player seems a tad low when you consider Saint John for example has 4... heck even Shawinigan had 1

i don't know what it will take to bring crowds back.... a full season of winning hockey with some playoff success certainly wouldn't hurt

however the past transgressions have done damage to this franchise, coupled with a poor economy where many families struggle to keep food on the table and the heat paid... hard to justify the added expense of 50 bucks or so to take a family of 3 to a game

and I spoke with a former season ticket holder last night who lives in Borden and attends Summerside Caps games regularly.... he tells me they average 850-1000... looking on the MHL website it says 1076... hardly outdrawing the Rocket like you suggest.. QMJHL website shows Rocket as averaging 1688

better opponent tonight..... but scheduling up against the Panthers.. likely hurts the draw too

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2012, 10:13 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

woodstock wrote:
and I spoke with a former season ticket holder last night who lives in Borden and attends Summerside Caps games regularly.... he tells me they average 850-1000... looking on the MHL website it says 1076... hardly outdrawing the Rocket like you suggest.. QMJHL website shows Rocket as averaging 1688

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead. When I said that the Caps have had games where the attendance has been as high as 1700+, I didn't mean for that to be understood as the average attendance.

A 1076 average in a market one third the size of the Rocket market, and for an inferior product, still makes the Rocket average attendance seem pretty lame.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2012, 12:01 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Interesting. I always thought that Greater Charlottetown was three times the size of Greater Summerside.

I was wrong, it is four times larger.

According to the 2011 Census Agglomeration, Greater Charlottetown has a population of 64,487 whereas Greater Summerside has a population of 16,210.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2012, 8:43 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

As of this moment in time, the Rocket have the top 2 scorers in the Q.
Josh Currie: 18g & 18a for 36p
Ben Duffy: 13g & 22a for 35p

That is sure to change before the night is out, but I am still enjoying looking at the stats page on the Q site :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2012, 3:20 pm 

Keep in mind its only 17 gms in...thats not gonna get instant results and the fact its still pretty nice outside.

Usually we see the first big crowd after the first snowfall or when there is local talent in on a visiting team.

It is exciting hockey this year thats for sure. but like mentioned above the energy sucks...

One big thing tho is that for ppl that follow the Q. The Rocket do have a winning record against weaker teams this year but for teams above 500. the results aren't as good.

Come Christmas time tho, there is a certain player that must be moved as I fear it could hamper the chemistry on the team...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 19th, 2012, 8:46 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Quote:
Winning P.E.I. Rocket team losing in the stands
The Rocket are averaging fewer than 1,700 fans a game

The P.E.I. Rocket hockey team is off to its best start in years, yet, most nights the Charlottetown Civic Centre is a sea of empty blue seats.

These days team vice-president Trent Birt said he feels a new buzz in the rink on game days.

The team is a far cry from the P.E.I. Rocket that finished last in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League just months ago.

"We will be successful, rest assured," said Birt.

Twenty-two games into the season, Birt is delivering on that promise. The team is second in the division behind the Halifax Mooseheads, but the club is still struggling to fill the stands.

Though Charlottetown is a smaller market than many of its Maritime rivals, the numbers are concerning for the club.

The Rocket are averaging fewer than 1,700 fans a game.

In Saint John, nearly twice the numbers of fans are watching the Sea Dogs play, and in Halifax the Mooseheads draw an average of 8,300 fans.

Rumours of the team relocating are swirling, but Birt insists owner Serge Savard remains committed to Charlottetown.

"We don't discuss other options. We don't waste our time or energy on there, because we truly believe it will work here," Birt said.

Sports journalist Lyle Richardson said the team just needs to keep on winning.

"There's been no sense that the Rocket have really been making that progression towards being not just a playoff team, but at least, perhaps, a championship-contending team," he said.

Birt said the organization has been making the overall game experience a better one for fans. Other than that, he said they'll stay focused on winning more games.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2012, 1:20 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

kreskin wrote:

That is sure to change before the night is out, but I am still enjoying looking at the stats page on the Q site :D

I must say that I am quite pleasantly surprised that Currie & Duffy have held the two top spots in scoring for over a month now.

Currie: 26g & 25A = 51p
Duffy: 19g & 30a = 49p

=D>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 4th, 2012, 10:05 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Quote:
Josh Currie, Philippe Desrosiers and Kevin Gagné were named today the TELUS three stars of the week for the period extending from November 26 to December 2.

Josh Currie, the PEI Rocket centreman, is the first star of the week. In 4 games, he collected 8 points, including 5 goals while maintaining a +/- of +3. Currie began the week on the road, and it was while he was in Quebec City that he set the tone after having been blanked by the Drummondville Voltigeurs. Wednesday, in a 5-3 victory over the Quebec Remparts, he was named the 1st star of the game after scoring two goals including one on the penalty kill. He also recorded an assist on the winning goal registered by his teammate Victor Provencher. After resting for 2 days, the team returned home on Saturday where the Rocket won 4-1 against the Victoriaville Tigres with Currie collecting 2 points (1+1). Sunday, in a 4-3 win during a shootout versus the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles, he was selected as the 1st star of the game and led his team to a 3rd consecutive win. He collected another 3 points, including 2 during penalty killing situations and scored his 25th and 26th goals of the season while adding an assist on Ben Duffy’s tying goal. Finally, during the shootout, he got the better of goaltender Philippe Trudeau to seal the deal. With 51 points, Currie leads the League in points, goals (26) and points on the penalty kill (7).

http://www.theqmjhl.ca/article/currie-d ... eek/133147

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 18th, 2013, 4:53 pm 
Almost an Islander

kreskin wrote:
kreskin wrote:

I must say that I am quite pleasantly surprised that Currie & Duffy have held the two top spots in scoring for over a month now.

Currie: 26g & 25A = 51p
Duffy: 19g & 30a = 49p

=D>

And they finished up with Duffy #1 and Currie #3 for the regular season.

Profile E-mail