Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Saturday Steak Special at Fireman's Club for $5.75 [Remind Me]

Lunch Steak Special at Ch'town Curling Club for $10.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: PEI Rocket Sold ?
PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 3:28 pm 
From Away

News going around the Rink That the PEI Rocket have been sold to an Off island Group anyone have any insight on this? Imo It would not surprise me if they were they have to be losing a lot of money and that blame last mostly on the owners for not putting a product on the ice that will attract fans. So it will be interesting to see what happens in the off season.

If the team is sold will the new owners keep the team here or try and move it? would be the big question..

And if the team is sold what would that mean for Charlottetown? Bring Back the Abbies? Cause honestly as of late it would be better hockey to watch..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: PEI Rocket Sold ?
PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 5:52 pm 
True Islander

Jeremy wrote:
News going around the Rink That the PEI Rocket have been sold to an Off island Group anyone have any insight on this? Imo It would not surprise me if they were they have to be losing a lot of money and that blame last mostly on the owners for not putting a product on the ice that will attract fans. So it will be interesting to see what happens in the off season.

If the team is sold will the new owners keep the team here or try and move it? would be the big question..

And if the team is sold what would that mean for Charlottetown? Bring Back the Abbies? Cause honestly as of late it would be better hockey to watch..

More Rocket Sold rumours?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 11:45 pm 
True Islander

These rumours have a bit more merit though. This year, there hasn't been as many rumours about the Rocket moving which is unusual. Usually ya hear more...

Don't season ticket holders start receiving some sort of communication saying something, about renewing for next year by now?

On top of this, I'm hearing The Guardian's reporter on the Rocket has been asked to be re-assigned to another task.

Also noteworthy, in 2011 the QMJHL had come out and said there are no moves. In 2012, I don't remember them saying it....

Of course, all this is merely what I've heard.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 9:19 am 
Newly Created Account

Jeremy wrote:

I'm not a big hockey fan myself .. but my bf goes to all the games as he is a season ticket holder. Tonight I will be attending my 3rd game, and I have yet to see them get a goal !!

He hasn't received any notice regarding this ..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 9:27 am 
True Islander

italkulisten wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

I'm not a big hockey fan myself .. but my bf goes to all the games as he is a season ticket holder. Tonight I will be attending my 3rd game, and I have yet to see them get a goal !!

He hasn't received any notice regarding this ..

You should see them score tonight, they mostly seem to beat Moncton.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 9:42 am 
Almost an Islander

Source involved with Rocket informed me they were delaying on negotiating contracts with their merchandise partner.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 2:03 pm 

jmweb wrote:
These rumours have a bit more merit though. This year, there hasn't been as many rumours about the Rocket moving which is unusual. Usually ya hear more...

Don't season ticket holders start receiving some sort of communication saying something, about renewing for next year by now?

On top of this, I'm hearing The Guardian's reporter on the Rocket has been asked to be re-assigned to another task.

Also noteworthy, in 2011 the QMJHL had come out and said there are no moves. In 2012, I don't remember them saying it....

Of course, all this is merely what I've heard.

Season ticket renewal notices usually go out at the end of April.

We usually get some type of communication in February regarding purchasing playoff tickets but did not get anything this year. Which was kind of surprising because any playoff tickets not used could be put towards new years season tickets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 6:41 pm 

The lack of communication about playoff tickets is probably due more to the strong possibility of not making the playoffs, no point in spending the time and money to send out letters for purchasing playoff tickets and then placing the order at the printers if there aren't going to be any playoffs. If the Rocket do happen to make the playoffs between now and the end of the season I bet you would see those letters. Even if they only made the playoffs in the last game I don't think it would take much time to get the orders off to the printer and have the tickets printed off, if necessary.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 6:52 pm 
True Islander

Same ole same ole.................every time something happens out of the ordinary, the team is sold again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 10:46 am 
From Away

FoxRun wrote:
Same ole same ole.................every time something happens out of the ordinary, the team is sold again.

That statement is somewhat false it was never a topic of being sold before it had to do with the team moving. This is totally different than a team being rumoured to move. There is some strong points to lead why the team could be sold, not cause of the play-off tickets or anything like that. A few island businessmen approached the Rocket to buy the team and offered 4 million and the Rocket turned it down that coming from a reliable source.. And apparently they want the team to go back to Quebec Again Rumour but a strong one take it for what it is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 11:15 am 
True Islander

Jeremy wrote:
FoxRun wrote:

That statement is somewhat false it was never a topic of being sold before it had to do with the team moving. This is totally different than a team being rumoured to move. There are some strong points to lead why the team could be sold, not cause of the play-off tickets or anything like that. A few island businessmen approached the Rocket to buy the team and offered 4 million and the Rocket turned it down that coming from a reliable source.. And apparently they want the team to go back to Quebec Again Rumour but a strong one take it for what it is.

No it's not and your latest rumour just proves it.....that one has been around for sometime now and raises it's head everytime a new sold rumour starts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 1:08 pm 
From Away

FoxRun wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
FoxRun wrote:

That statement is somewhat false it was never a topic of being sold before it had to do with the team moving. This is totally different than a team being rumoured to move. There is some strong points to lead why the team could be sold, not cause of the play-off tickets or anything like that. A few island businessmen approached the Rocket to buy the team and offered 4 million and the Rocket turned it down that coming from a reliable source.. And apperently they want the team to go back to Quebec Again Rumour but a strong one take it for what it is.

No it's not and your latest rumour just proves it.....that one has been around for sometime now and raises it's head everytime a new sold rumour starts.

You are missing the point in my last post although I understand where u get it from when I say they want the team to move back to Quebec means I am sure there is a deal worked out already some group in Quebec. Not the Rocket want to move back there, more like along the lines there is a deal in place in Quebec and not here on the island. Anyways regardless the Rocket will be here next season for sure but after that its hard to tell, and plus they will have to renew their contract with the City.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 2:01 pm 
True Islander

Jeremy wrote:
FoxRun wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
FoxRun wrote:

That statement is somewhat false, it was never a topic of being sold before it had to do with the team moving. This is totally different than a team being rumoured to move. There is some strong points to lead why the team could be sold, not cause of the play-off tickets or anything like that. A few island businessmen approached the Rocket to buy the team and offered 4 million and the Rocket turned it down that coming from a reliable source.. And apparently they want the team to go back to Quebec Again Rumour but a strong one take it for what it is.

You are missing the point in my last post although I understand where u get it from when I say they want the team to move back to Quebec means I am sure there is a deal worked out already some group in Quebec. Not the Rocket want to move back there, more like along the lines there is a deal in place in Quebec and not here on the island. Anyways regardless the Rocket will be here next season for sure but after that its hard to tell, and plus they will have to renew their contract with the City.

The contract with the City is not worth the paper it's written on.....in fact, the CCC don't really make too much money from the Rocket being a tenant, so I doubt that would hold any other deal up. Not to mention, that the Q needs more Atlantic based teams in the league inorder to survive in this part of Canada so the league would to ,again, approve any pending sales, if in fact there is one.

Last edited by FoxRun on March 7th, 2012, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 3:32 pm 
From Away

FoxRun wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
FoxRun wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
FoxRun wrote:

That statement is somewhat false, it was never a topic of being sold before it had to do with the team moving. This is totally different than a team being rumoured to move. There is some strong points to lead why the team could be sold, not cause of the play-off tickets or anything like that. A few island businessmen approached the Rocket to buy the team and offered 4 million and the Rocket turned it down that coming from a reliable source.. And apparently they want the team to go back to Quebec. Again Rumour but a strong one take it for what it is.

The contract with the City is not worth the paper it's written on.....in fact, the CCC don't really make too much money from the Rocket being a tenant, so I doubt that would hold any other deal up. Not to mention, that the Q needs more Atlantic based teams in the league inorder to survive in this part of Canada so the league would to ,again, approve any pending sales, if in fact there is one.

You are missing the point in my last post although I understand where u get it from when I say they want the team to move back to Quebec means I am sure there is a deal worked out already with some group in Quebec. Not the Rocket want to move back there, more like along the lines there is a deal in place in Quebec and not here on the island. Anyways regardless the Rocket will be here next season for sure but after that its hard to tell, and plus they will have to renew their contract with the City.

Good Point The deal with the city isn't going to stop the process no, But to have a team move before next season will not happen there are a few big things that have to happen prior to completing the sale.

1 League approval to sell the team to the new Owner.
2 where to put the team and the leauge has to approve it as well
3 The Rocket signed a lease with the City of Charlottetown,as the major tenant of the building, I'm pretty sure if they are/were going to sell that you notify the City when you have a deal in place or if you are packing up and moving on ( which has not happened as of yet).

Its not something that happens in a few days unless you fold the team that is the only quick way to do it. But to sell it or move it takes a lot of work I am in no way aguring with you just stating that its a rumour. But there is strong points that support it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 10:09 am 
Almost an Islander

Jeremy wrote:
FoxRun wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
FoxRun wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
FoxRun wrote:

That statement is somewhat false, it was never a topic of being sold before it had to do with the team moving. This is totally different than a team being rumoured to move. There is some strong points to lead why the team could be sold, not cause of the play-off tickets or anything like that. A few island businessmen approached the Rocket to buy the team and offered 4 million and the Rocket turned it down that coming from a reliable source.. And apparently they want the team to go back to Quebec. Again Rumour but a strong one take it for what it is.

You are missing the point in my last post although I understand where u get it from when I say they want the team to move back to Quebec means I am sure there is a deal worked out already with some group in Quebec. Not the Rocket want to move back there, more like along the lines there is a deal in place in Quebec and not here on the island. Anyways regardless the Rocket will be here next season for sure but after that its hard to tell, and plus they will have to renew their contract with the City.

Good Point The deal with the city isn't going to stop the process no, But to have a team move before next season will not happen there are a few big things that have to happen prior to completing the sale.

1 League approval to sell the team to the new Owner.
2 where to put the team and the leauge has to approve it as well
3 The Rocket signed a lease with the City of Charlottetown,as the major tenant of the building, I'm pretty sure if they are/were going to sell that you notify the City when you have a deal in place or if you are packing up and moving on ( which has not happened as of yet).

Its not something that happens in a few days unless you fold the team that is the only quick way to do it. But to sell it or move it takes a lot of work I am in no way aguring with you just stating that its a rumour. But there is strong points that support it.

1. How do you know it hasn't been approved? The league never came out and said there was no moves requested this year did they?
2. Easier then you think.
3. They only need to give notice before they leave, i.e. same time as announcement.

Not to fuel rumors, but I'd say Mr. Savard Jr. is moving back to Quebec but the team is staying here.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 11:19 am 

Dante have you heard anything about this or are you speculating? I would love local ownership but as long as the team stays in Charlottetown I am happy. Do you guys think the name will ever Change or will they always stay the PEI Rocket?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 11:42 am 
True Islander

rocketfan2012 wrote:
Dante have you heard anything about this or are you speculating? I would love local ownership but as long as the team stays in Charlottetown I am happy. Do you guys think the name will ever Change or will they always stay the PEI Rocket?

Like most rumours, a bit of both!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 11:54 am 

Fox Run there is never a shortage of Rumours saying the team is moving and sold I myself wish they would stop until the announcement is official but I guess they will never stop as long as the Savards own the Franchise

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 26th, 2012, 6:03 am 
True Islander

I doubt there would be a deal with Eastlink if they were sold, from The Guardian:

Fans of the P.E.I. Rocket will continue to be able to catch their team on television as EastLink TV announces a new, five-year agreement as the exclusive broadcast provider for the Halifax Mooseheads, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles and the P.E.I. Rocket.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 27th, 2012, 9:20 am 
True Islander

If any of this is true, then why would Savard want to leave.

From Shane Ross's Rhyme Or Reason commentary from the March 21 edition of The Guardian Islanders are a patient lot. They’ll drive for miles behind a tractor hauling hay on the highway without even honking. They’ll wait in long lineups at the Superstore without even sighing. They’ll endure cold, bleak winters without even cracking.
And year after year, they’ll sit through all those Rocketlosses without even booing.
If patience is a virtue, then Rocket fans are the Mother Teresas of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
Nine seasons the Rocket have been on the Island now, and they’ve never been able to match the success of that first season.
It was the only year they made it past the first round of the playoffs, losing in the second round to Moncton. Since then, they’ve gone 228- 267, a .461 winning percentage.
This year, which ended Sunday, was the worse yet, dead last at 19- 43. The only team in the league to miss the playoffs.
And yet, there they were. Hundreds of patient Rocketfans sticking around the Civic Centre after the 6- 1 loss to show their appreciation.
I hope the Rocket owners realize how good they have it. I suspect they do. Through our taxes, we give them at least $ 245,000 a year. ($ 100k from the province in grants and $ 100k in sponsorships — which means it gets marketing, tickets, etc., in return — as well as $ 10k grant from the City of Charlottetown and $ 35k in sponsorships).
I’m guessing their lease agreement with the Civic Centre is pretty sweet, too, but I don’t know for sure because nobody will tell me.
Not Trent Birt, the Rocket VP of Operations, even though his lease is with you and me, as taxpayers who give hundreds of thousand of dollars a year to run the Civic Centre. Not the province or the city, who give them the money on our behalf.
They referred me to Dave Mcgrath, GM of the Civic Centre. But not Dave Mcgrath either. It’s confidential, he told me.
When I went to a member of the Civic Centre board of directors with my request, he suggested I ask Mcgrath to make a formal request to the board.
So I did, and was told by Mcgrath he would get back to me in April with the board’s decision. I’ll keep you posted.
In the meantime, let’s assume it’s a good deal. It was recently renewed for another two years, and if it was a bad deal for the Rocket, we’d probably know all about it.
Sources tell me the Rocket also went to the city this season looking for more money to cover game day expenses, which amount to more than $ 30,000 a year.
But before they handed over any more money, the city asked for audited financial statements and the Rocketrefused to provide them.
Rocket management said it is already planning for next year. It should start by planning ways to reward its fans for their patience and financial commitment. If they can’t do it with wins, they should offer them discounted ticket prices. Babysit their kids. Paint their houses.
The players do their best to reward their patient fansthrough hard work on the ice. And coach Gordie Dwyer did what he could with what he had. But he needs more, starting with the No. 2 overall pick in this year’s draft. TheRocket can’t afford to screw that up.
As the players head their separate ways and management refocuses for next season, team owner Serge Savard Jr. has asked fans to be patient once again.
“Our time will come,” he told the Guardian after Sunday’s seasonending loss. “Next year we’ll be better and the year after we’ll win it all.”
If the Rocket win the Memorial Cup in two years, I’ll eat this column. I’ll even give Savard the satisfaction of personally shoving it down my throat.

After reading this column, he may feel like doing it right now. But he’ll have to be patient.

Profile E-mail