* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Dentist prices
PostPosted: August 31st, 2005, 3:58 pm 
True Islander

ok...is it just me...or have the prices of fillings etc gone nuts?....i have a kid, needs 3 fillings...( white ones )....back teeth....$168 a tooth....is this normal??

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2005, 4:19 pm 

Location: hmmm handle says from Souris, but in Ch-town........sounds like a toughie
dunno, I haven't paid for denstist work since 95

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2005, 5:25 pm 
True Islander

so how much was a filling in 95?....give or take

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2005, 6:49 pm 

Location: hmmm handle says from Souris, but in Ch-town........sounds like a toughie
hmmmmmmm i think it was around 80

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2005, 7:46 pm 
Almost an Islander

Just curious... who do you go to?
I am... soon to be was... going to McDonald, Campbell, & Bray.
I switched to them a couple years back. I got placed with Dr. Bray. Nice guy, does good work, just has weird hours. Doesn't work every day, and only does mornings or something. Doesn't work for a teacher like me. Dr. Campbell's all fine & good, too... almost a family member, he is.
My problem with their office is just their scheduling. I don't think I've ever had an original appointment that's never been changed or cancelled on me. In May or early June, they phoned me at work to ask if I could change my appointment the following day to an earlier time... 2:40 or something... since whoever needed to be there for the work couldn't be there later (why did they book this appointment then?). Of course, I couldn't make it, and had to reschedule for July. At the end of that visit, I tried to get them to hurry my referral through for my wisdom teeth, so I could have a chance at getting it done ths summer. They botched it or slowed it up... had to phone both offices a couple times to get it done. Just sending that page or pages of info took 2 or 3 weeks! Their slowness ended up with me not being able to get in during the summer to have the work done. :?

Long story short, I like the folks, but am fed up with their lack of reliability... anyone have any recommendations for a good dentist with good prices?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2005, 8:12 pm 

In the forties and maybe even in the fifties it cost abut $25 for a filling and about $10 for an extraction. I think I paid around $60 for my last extracation a couple of years ago.

Also when we lived in Edmundston the government paid for any dentristy for kids. The dentists were making a fortune filling teeth that didn't need to be filled and some were finally charged and fined for it.

I suppose their overhead is more now. They pay a lot more for rent and they also have girls doing a lot of the work that have to be paid. Before, it was just the dentist doing everything by himself but it's sure getting expensive. Doesn't the government help now with the kids in school under a certain age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2005, 8:56 pm 
True Islander

right now the dr is joanne stewart , in stratford. She and her sister are both dentists and are good, but the prices im sure are probably in line with the others....i know shes good, i just have issues with almost six hundred bucks for three fillings...

i used to go to dr macphee in summerside, and he was good too, but pricey....same as the rest....

dr crocker tho in tignish is great....he was decent priced...( keep in mind its been a few years )...and ive called him at six in the morning....in pain....and he'd come to the office just to see to me....hes fast.....but i no longer live close to him...

i think they are all good.....i just have a problem with the pricing...i wonder how close they are to each other in the pricing range....

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2005, 9:10 pm 
True Islander

Looks like I'll be looking for a charlottetown dentist. Hopefully it will be one in Town as I don't have a car at the moment.

I can be picky when chosing a professional. If I ever detect bulls**t they get the flush. One dentist I had in Summerside, told me I needed a root canal. I told him no, I came for a filling. He said the tooth needed a root canal and tried to prove it with a Galvanometer.

I had an abcessed tooth and could taste the infection.

I said, Ok Doc, I told you when I came that I have a bacterial infection. I also informed you it needs to be cleared up but not necessarily before the fill. Don't you agree the bacteria could give a galvanomic response. He stated this was not impossible but unlikely.

I left...took penicillin to clear the infection and had it filled...still have the tooth and didn't have to spend a small fortune to get it capped.

Proifessionals are only human and not always right. If they are incapable of something as elementary as knowing how a galvanometer works, I don't want them in my mouth.

Last edited by Ed The Sock on August 31st, 2005, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2005, 10:59 pm 

I go to souris, mainly since they have been looking after my teeth since..well... they first broke through the gums

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2005, 9:30 pm 
Almost an Islander

dr holden/dr allen on belvedere ave are good. can't remember what we paid but we are actually due for an annual. i'll let you know when i call to make an appt.

-g

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2005, 10:08 pm 

well after today not overly worried about denstist fees (health plan takes care of that), but vet fees are insane...gonna cost me a grand for my cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2005, 7:51 am 
True Islander

what are you going to do to your cat??? thats a big chunk of change....

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2005, 9:40 am 

he has (well had by now) a blockage in his urinary tract

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2005, 2:45 pm 
True Islander

ouch...see...i love my cat...s.....but i cant say that i would pay that much....i donno...thats a lot ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2005, 3:21 pm 
Tourist

edgaudet wrote:
Looks like I'll be looking for a charlottetown dentist. Hopefully it will be one in Town as I don't have a car at the moment.

I go to Dr. Hodgson on Fitzroy St...have gone to him forever. I've never felt pushed into getting something I don't need. Hell, up until about 3 years ago, I had never had an x-ray done of my teeth although I have very good teeth so never needed one I guess until I had to get a referral for wisdom teeth removal..ugh! Also, I've always wanted to get my teeth whitened but he won't do it because he said it would hurt the enamal of my teeth....so he's definitely not a money grabber. Really nice man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2005, 4:09 pm 
True Islander

Thanks Fand...He sounds like my kinda guy.

I was wondering if anyone would recommend one. I was tempted to drop in and check out Doctor Feeley and see what she feels hehe Now I'll wait and check out your \suggestion :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11th, 2005, 10:25 am 
True Islander

my son had 5 cavities repaired over the whole summer. I wish it was like years ago where the parents paid like 15 bucks a visit and the goverment paid the rest. But now you have to pay a percentage of the bill. I am not sure what the bill was as my mum covered it for me working a few saturdays for her. Ya Ya and for all you out there thinkin 5 cavities what does that man feed his kid well he doesn't get hardly any junk food here(him and sugar are a very bad combo) and he brushes his teeth regularly. But one can't control what happens at the other parents home. But he lost his first one the other week so that was the start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11th, 2005, 3:22 pm 

I go to Dr. Clark Ching. He's awesome... btw.. how old is your son.. isn't filllings and such covered until the age of 16.. I remember my mom getting all my work done before I turned 17 for that very reason

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11th, 2005, 11:42 pm 

ya cus is a good dentist ~LOL~

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2005, 12:21 am 
True Islander

I go to Dr. Archer on Kensington Road, it's close to work for me and I've been going there for years.

For the last few years I've been grinding my teeth and pushing my tounge against my teeth! Hurts like hell but I can't seem to stop. On a bad grinding month a room temperature banana can make me jump it hurts, cold water is like torture. I'm going to be toothless before I'm 40! :(

I'm not sure about prices, I could probably reach out my arm and it would land on a receipt.

I give Dr Archer credit for keeping everything together.

Profile E-mail