Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Divorce Lawyers
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2008, 10:11 am 
Almost an Islander

Can anyone recommend a good divorce lawyer in Charlottetown? Or share your experience with the legal side of divorce if you've been through one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2008, 1:17 pm 
Almost an Islander

Get a mediator.............work out all your issues then present it to the courts....lawyers make alot of money on divorces and frankly waste the courts time rehashing the same issues over and over again. I've had several family members spend small fortunes on lawyers for stupid stuff. Get a mediator.......work out everything you need to and be done with it. At the end of the day.........both people want out.......don't fight over tupperware.........make a plan your both happy with........wish each other luck and go on with life. I've been married 22 years since we got married young we decided early on a plan for divorcing (since thats what everyone expected us to do.....who knew) split it down the middle decide if there are any children involved how much it really costs to raise them.....split the bill, let the children spend as much time with both parents as they want, kids should never be religated to every other weekend its unfair to them. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2008, 2:29 pm 

Even with the mediator route, you still need a lawyer to look at it.... but good advice otherwise. Dodi Crane is good.. But if you want it quick and dirty, get it over with you really have to stay on her she can drag things out.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2008, 3:20 pm 
I sat down with friends several months ago and helped them divide things and trade off back and forth .. wrote up with they agreed too and then they went to legal aid to get advise on how to continue from there (I think it was $40 for 30 minutes) ..... make sure you go with a list of questions and know what you need to ask. Then they both got lawyers to file the paper work.

Worked out well for them in the end, they can still speak politely to each other, where they agreed going to a lawyer each would have been expensive and a lot of fighting.

That being said .. sometimes too .. worth a good lawyer if there is something to fight for. Even a good therapist to save it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2008, 5:13 pm 
True Islander

singlecougar wrote:
I sat down with friends several months ago and helped them divide things and trade off back and forth .. wrote up with they agreed too and then they went to legal aid to get advise on how to continue from there (I think it was $40 for 30 minutes) ..... make sure you go with a list of questions and know what you need to ask. Then they both got lawyers to file the paper work.

Worked out well for them in the end, they can still speak politely to each other, where they agreed going to a lawyer each would have been expensive and a lot of fighting.

That being said .. sometimes too .. worth a good lawyer if there is something to fight for. Even a good therapist to save it.
good advice, especially the last liine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2008, 10:15 pm 
Almost an Islander

I guess I should clarify, this thread isn't about me, I'm not even married! But a good friend of mine wanted some suggestions and I have no idea about this sort of stuff.

There's been some great advice so far. Thanks everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2008, 10:23 pm 
True Islander

Smith and Wesson... ok ok that bad but all joking aside is it a messy split cause one could do the paper work themselves and file it at the courthouse. that way save thousands on lawyer fees

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 6:56 am 

I filed my own divorce. But that was only after using a lawyer for the legal separation. Actually we mostly worked it out for ourselves and each party needs a lawyer to go over it with you to ensure neither is getting snowed over. The divorce is the easy part, the legal separation is where you need the most advice.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 3:34 pm 
True Islander

I did it the easy way. I said I wanted nothing, even though I had legal claims to a very substantial amont. I said just give me my freedom and thats enough.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 4:29 pm 
True Islander

funny how many people leave so much behind just to get out of the situation..

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2008, 9:37 am 

Well my x and i finally ended things back in the summer of 2005 and it was a long long time coming. He began a relationship quite quickly after and i dated a bit. We decided we would file for divorce one year after we "officially" seperated, the "official" and "our time of seperation" were about 6mths apart....

He decided he wanted to propose to his new chick. He hired a lawyer and we both used him. He and i together worked on our seperation agreement, and divorce agreement. We worked out the visitation for our daughter, with us both having 50% custoday, holidays all worked out, etc. Then we took the agreeement to the lawyer, he did it up and we signed it. We didnt' have any real eastate or anything.

We did it the best way for ourselves and really focused on what was best for our child. We didnt' see the point in making it acrimonious, we had both moved on and an end was needed.

People sometimes forget that, the anger takes over and ppl go for blood, in the end ppl find it hard to remember that at one point the person was someone you cared about and if kids are invloved, even tho you may hate the person, remembe that your kid probably still loves them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2008, 5:49 pm 
True Islander

no kids are like pons in chess you use them against the other person.. but it is good to here that someone did it in best interest of the children.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2008, 7:03 pm 
True Islander

TTBoy wrote:
no kids are like pons in chess you use them against the other person.. but it is good to here that someone did it in best interest of the children.

That would be pawns and hear.

What can I say - Kreskin is away.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2008, 7:47 pm 
True Islander

no matter how you spell it it is never good

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2008, 9:27 pm 
True Islander

I remember law courses at UW where the prof used to talk about divorce. He told us about how lawyers pick up on contentious issues and use them to stir up the pot.

When people get into a battle over divorce, the only winners are the lawyers.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7th, 2008, 1:12 pm 
TTBoy wrote:
funny how many people leave so much behind just to get out of the situation..

Where is this coming from ?

Post subject: Re: Divorce Lawyers
PostPosted: April 17th, 2017, 6:47 am 
Newly Created Account

You can search online about top divorce lawyers. You can also search classifieds ads in newspaper.

Profile E-mail